Where Can I Find A Hscript Primer?

whalerider

How do I find out what the syntax rules are, what's possible to do with HScript, how to run a script, etc?

If you look in the online docs most of what you need should be there.

hdox://houdini/content/commands/guide/hscript_guide.xml

I order to run a script all you have to do is type in the path and the name of the script in the textport.

for example:

$HOME/myscripts/createSim.cmd

Luca

Thanks, Luca. I found the help file you mentioned - it's quite useful.

If you look in the online docs most of what you need should be there.

hdox://houdini/content/commands/guide/hscript_guide.xml

I order to run a script all you have to do is type in the path and the name of the script in the textport.

for example:

$HOME/myscripts/createSim.cmd

Luca

Just so you know, as far as I know hscript is only going to be around for this version. From v9 onwards it's being replaced by HOM (python).

M

talking about HOM .. is it going to totally replace current Hscript.. or it'll be a two scripting way?... i mean ... not really fun to build bunch of OTL which will not work in the future... or spending lot of time learning a "8 versions scripting language" that will simply be thrashed next year... isnt it?

as far as I understood at the roadshow.. HOM was a available togheter with Hscript... or HOM is Hscript with lot more "expressions or function" that are actually python... not much infos on that.. but.. I'd be surprised they make all 8.x work not working in version 9.

[one' date=Nov 23 2006, 09:00 AM' post='32214]

...which makes senses to me ...

I can confirm that for H9 Hscript is / will work just fine. I think they do ultimately want to phase out Hscript, but at least for a while they will be backwards compatible.

Good to know HScript support won't be discontinued right away - that will help companies transition

to Python.

In either case, H9 is still several months away, afaik, and I want to get up and running on Houdini scripting asap.

I can confirm that for H9 Hscript is / will work just fine. I think they do ultimately want to phase out Hscript, but at least for a while they will be backwards compatible.