Line width

rob

Hi people , I'm doing a small animated feather as a challenge and I have a need to add wispy strands , wanting to stay clear of hair. I have opted for using lines , which I figured would be the way to go as I could add a sin wave and noise to them which in turn could be animated over time.

The biggest issues i am having are the AA of the line width attribute and the fact the line renders as a line .... I know . What can I do to fix this and get those wispy strands I'm after ? . It would also be handy to be able to have the colour at the root graduate up to the tip ...

post-1566-1205993030_thumb.jpg

Hi people , I'm doing a small animated feather as a challenge and I have a need to add wispy strands , wanting to stay clear of hair. I have opted for using lines , which I figured would be the way to go as I could add a sin wave and noise to them which in turn could be animated over time.

The biggest issues i am having are the AA of the line width attribute and the fact the line renders as a line .... I know . What can I do to fix this and get those wispy strands I'm after ? . It would also be handy to be able to have the colour at the root graduate up to the tip ...

the point color will be blended over the length of the line.

If you assign different colors/saturations to root and tip points you will be fine.

and maybe use a semi-translucent shader.

maybe you need to up the image sampling from 3x3 to a higher value to get rid of the aliasing.

Georg

Well After some tweeking around I have got some improvement but its by no means great at all , Ive upped the samples to 13 x 13 and confirmed the render is through the camera. I am driving the width attribute through the expression 0.006* (1-$BBZ) . Im at a bit of a loss. Increasing the shading value on the geometry node does'nt effect it much at all

R

post-1566-1206052848_thumb.jpg

Edited by rob

Right now you are rendering flat ribbons. Many hair shaders render the flat wire as a tube by either displacing the wires in to a half cylinder or in a surface shader by bending the normals. This will allow the hairs to catch the light in a more realistic way.

The default Fur material has a new VOP called hairnormal which warps surface normals to approximate a half round tube. That may help in the shading.

As for the wire geometry, as Jason said: Pixel Samples

I figure as much , 99% of the time I guess its error 40 ( me sitting 40 inches from the screen ) ! . Jeff thanks for the pointer. Is there anything special as to how I should set this default fur material up ? or is it just a case of plug in and go ? .

thanks rob

Edited by rob