Geforce 4

mike

We have a system running: Athlon,Win2000pro + Creative Labs 3D Blaster Geforce4 Ti-4400 ( latest driver: detonator 29.42).

The only thing that we get with houdini is ONE BIG grey plane

:angry: . All other applications like maya,3dmax are running normal.

hola Mike,

this is a stab in the dark, but could it be the creative labs brand? in the past i have always had problems with their products, esp with my dual proc machine (about 3 yrs ago)...eventually found a workaround after many hours of calling the machine and its gizzards colorful names.

iam running the geforce3 ti200 w/o any problems. i can try to run h5 on a friends machine which has a geforce4 something or other in it. ill post the results here

:wacko:

Side Effects one day is going to have to bite the bullet and tailor Houdini's gui to NVidia cards, now that so many people are using Nvidia chips on Windows and Linux. I wouldn't be hopeful for 5.5 though because beta is nearly over and I'm sure it's a non-trivial change.

But as well, NVidia's drivers fluctuate so much in quality.. we've had drivers which go very slow to completely crashing our machines in the past few months. It's been hard for us all :(

Hi again Mike :)

I installed H5 onto a machine with a VisionTek GeForce4 Ti 4600 running on winXP, AMD XP 1800, SOYO Dragon plus MB, and the default drivers which came with the card. I worked with houdini for awhile but didnt run into any issues, it actually runs alot smoother than my own machine :(

Maybe you can revert to the default drivers, unless you had the same problem before installing the new ones. Also, here is another poke at the problem...

Iam assuming you cant change to another vendor because you purchased a prebuilt box from a company like HP, DELL, COMPAQ etc..? I seem to recall having problems with H4.1 when I tried to install onto my DELL laptop straight out of the box. Basically I had to reinstall the OS without all the Dell drivers. Since then its been running cherry!

Hope this helps :o , I will try v5.5 as well.

Mike C.

Thanks again,

At the beginning of next week I can try another card :lol: :lol: ( this time a gainward ultra/700 XP ),where I know that this card should work.

I will write you the result.

cheers

michael

• 3 weeks later...
I am running on a GeForce 3 and it work pretty well, except it I have any other window in the foreground (including the Houdini Console), where it slows right down.

Can I suggest you attempt to install the latest drivers available from

http://www.guru3d.com

Try them out, they may help - who knows..

Jason.

I am running on a GeForce 3 aswell! Will new drivers solve the interface slowdown?

Seems like my performance is fine with the newer drivers. Be careful of any window you have thats "Always on top" - it'll bring Houdini to a crawl..

Okay, thanks for the tip!