HOT in MR for Maya

colt

Hi Guys,

I really like the ocean you made, and i'm doing some testing with custom wake maps.

I can plug it in the mental ray shader what works really well, but now i'm trying to plug my custom wake texture in the maya deformer but i dont see how this works. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks for the plugs, and good luck developing!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I really like the ocean you made, and i'm doing some testing with custom wake maps.

I can plug it in the mental ray shader what works really well, but now i'm trying to plug my custom wake texture in the maya deformer but i dont see how this works. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks for the plugs, and good luck developing!

Hmm, interesting idea. Sounds useful to me too. Maybe I'll look into it and provide some kind of offset input for the deformer as well. Or create an extra displacement deformer. But you'll have to wait some time, as I'm unable to do something for the next couple of weeks.

Since it's only a deformer you could try to find a displacement deformer (maybe someone did that already) and pluf it before / after the ocean.

Cheers, Nico

PS. In case nobody noticed, I added a 2011 64bit compile to the link on the first page.

Oh and CeeGee, thanks for the videos.

Edited by colt

• 2 weeks later...

Thx, for the tip Nico, i will try this later today.

The basic idea was to create particles like igor fx animation examples with the particles splashing up.

If i use his concept the particles will be created under my bow wake which i added in the mental ray displacement shader.

I would be great to add the bow wake in the displacement deformer so it can match the bow wake in the mental ray shader.

That way i could generate particles around the ships and their wakes.

I will try and post the progress if it works.

I think this solution would be a great addition to the maya fluids ocean shader, so that we could easily move the ship over these waves and add some bouancy objects.

Good luck, and thx again, this shader rules in maya!

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Schnellis modifications of the hot source I managed to make the maya deformer multithreaded. This gives a nice speedup on multicore machines.

Only versions 2009 and up are multithreaded. Redownload from the link on first page if you want to test it.

Cheers, Nico

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody been able to get foam layer to render in HOT for Maya/MR?

When I open it up in the hypergraph, there's a deinite setup with the foam layer on top in the layered shader but I'm not sure how to add foam or adjust the amount of foam. It appears that there is an attribute called "jminus" that feeds from hotOcean2 all the way into the foam transparency, but I don't know how to control it. Any ideas, or is the foam just accessable in the Houdini version??

Eric

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I'm not literate enough to install this into Maya 2011! Any chance of foolproof install instructions for a beginner such as myself?

Update:

I just found this video on you tube. It show you how to install the add-on for those who can't.

Edited by tidalenergy3d

• 2 months later...

Hi Hi!

Does anyone, or can Anyone post a linux how to?

I'm new to linux, and want to use the HOT tools for maya in Linux, but have no idea how to compile it. Using Ubuntu or Fedora.

I saw one post that says just remove the loki ...not sure what that means ;)

or even if you can guide me and other linux newbies to a site that shows how to compile such plugins, that would be awesome!

I've used a similar tool for XSI, and have been looking for the maya version ...success...sort of

Thanks in advance guys!

mika

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to compile Linux64 for maya2012/Mray3.9.1, seems shader/plugin works

Feel free to try

Thanks uzer_name, I tried your compiled Linux version and I am able to use the deformer but I am not able to use shader. Can you help? I copied hotOcean.so under mentralray->lib folder but no luck.

Thanks uzer_name, I tried your compiled Linux version and I am able to use the deformer but I am not able to use shader. Can you help? I copied hotOcean.so under mentralray->lib folder but no luck.

You need to copy hotOcean.mi from HOT source to MRay's include folder.

so hotOcean.so shader to mentalray/lib and hotOcean.mi (located in HOT source tree hotOcean_Maya/mrShader/2012/64) to mentalray/include and load hotOcean shader in maya menu "Window->Rendering Editors->mental ray->Shading Manager"

Edited by uzer_name

You need to copy hotOcean.mi from HOT source to MRay's include folder.

so hotOcean.so shader to mentalray/lib and hotOcean.mi (located in HOT source tree hotOcean_Maya/mrShader/2012/64) to mentalray/include and load hotOcean shader in maya menu "Window->Rendering Editors->mental ray->Shading Manager"

Thanks Uzer_name, it is working now on Ubuntu 11.04.

Edited by 3d-gang

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get this to compile using the latest source, slightly modified for proper linux compiles, but I'm running across a problem.

I get a full compile on the deformer without errors, however it seems that

libImath.so is needed in addition to libblitz.so and libfftw.so

when I compile it, it links and seems ok, but if I run ldd on the plugin,

it shows me that its looking for libblitz and libfftw3 but libImath is nowhere in the list..

thus when I load it into maya I am getting an undefined symbol error,

I know its finding the .so when linking, because if I change the name it errors out at compile time

but for the life of me I cannot figure out why I can't get it to work.

I'm compiling in fedora 15 with a custom gcc version for maya (4.1.2), could that be the problem?

anybody with a little more experience debugging stuff? help!

thanks

-johnc

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...