circus tent procedural modeling

roughsporty

My goal is to make the top of a circus tent proceduraly.

As a first step I modeled it with the cap of a cylinder, make some polyextrudes to give it the rough shape and than i scaled in some lines of edges to have a look of folds. After that I inserted some edgeloops to get some bevel and finally a subdivision node. So far it is what i roughly want but not proceduraly. In the case that the amount of folds doesn't change I have enough procedural control for the bevels but in my asset I want to have the abillity to control the count of folds, so at this point i'm stuck.

Would be great to get some suggestions for a good approach.

post-4077-126660873791_thumb.jpg

post-4077-126660875074_thumb.jpg

My goal is to make the top of a circus tent proceduraly.

As a first step I modeled it with the cap of a cylinder, make some polyextrudes to give it the rough shape and than i scaled in some lines of edges to have a look of folds. After that I inserted some edgeloops to get some bevel and finally a subdivision node. So far it is what i roughly want but not proceduraly. In the case that the amount of folds doesn't change I have enough procedural control for the bevels but in my asset I want to have the abillity to control the count of folds, so at this point i'm stuck.

Would be great to get some suggestions for a good approach.

Rough attempt. there's a seam in there but anyhow.

tent.hip

Rough attempt. there's a seam in there but anyhow.

Hi edward,

thanks you for your fast reply. I've studied your hip file and hmm it's a very interesting approach but you are right, the problem with the seam exists and maybe I get later a solution for that. But I think it's the nature of the skin sop that you have a start and an end point and because of this fact you will always get a seam?!?

I had tried to add the Fuse SOP but, looking the color in the wire capture deformation, I saw a difference in the weight map, so I thought to a different approach.

Do you see the differences along the edges using the Fuse SOP?

i see no difference in capture colors using fuse SOP or not

you can append fuse after wiredeform if there are problems before

but i can see the different(thicker) color region arouund the seam, which is caused by affecting that region by 2 curves (start, end) which are on the same place

so you can either delete one of them prior to convert2 SOP or with your method

but even in your method rather than changing expression, delete first curve (Blast SOP with 0 as Group mask) just after duplicate

because with changing that expression you no longer get exact number of lines