Sticky gel effect

tomhanks

Hi, I am looking for some tips to achieve a ink gel sticky effect, like on the demo of this comercial:

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie.php?filename=TA9509, the effect in particular are the one pink gel floating in the water.

I tried various methods but I dind´t get any closer to it.

Any tips would be welcome, thanks.

Edited by tomhanks

Thanks for the tip, I don´t know exatcly how to use the particles with the fluids to generate this but I´ll try to figure it out.

The hardest part I think is to make then grow from the ground and give the sticky look witch I couldn´t get with particles because they always dissipate, also their tails sticking to ground is another challenge that I didn´t solve.

Any other tips would be wellcomed too.

Edited by tomhanks

I would say that Jason's method is the correct method. Look into the "Advect by volumes" POP. That will steer you the right way. As far as the ground... The particle fluid surface node will surface any points that are input. So if you were to say, create a grid with a with a mountain sop for ground, and extrude it downwards, use an isooffset to create a fog volume, scatter points inside that volume, and then merge the points from the POP network with the ground points, you could create a continuous surface.

Jason

Edited by mightcouldb1

I also think Jason's method is the correct way.

Start by getting your fluid sim to do some interesting things. I've attached an example which shows you how to use a particle system as pumps to drive your fluid sim. This will give you natural fluid motion, but following a more controlled direction. Also, try using vorticles. They're fun and easy to use and will add nice detail.

Next, use that fluid sim to advect your particles, as mightcloudb1 mentioned.

Getting the globs to get that shape you like is a matter of how you birth your particles. I would start by birthing particles on a grid with a noisy color attribute. In the Source POP, set the birth probability to $CR, $CR and you'll only get particles sourced from prims with the red color. Then, reduce the emission over time to get particles to thin out. The Particle Fluid SOP will do the rest.

directSmokeWithPops_001sl.hip

Thanks very much for the feedback, I´ll try the methods sugested here right away and I´ll tell later what I got.

the effect you are looking for is a lava lamp:

LavaLamp_Image3.jpg

ive seen the procedure in maya but not in houdini.

Something very similar to it.

Edited by tomhanks