ah... the good ol' days.

Marc

When beer was free and the sun shone brightly.

Those were the days of tiling backgrounds, and non animated dividers. As far as I recall, frames had just been introduced....

http://web.archive.org/web/19961224034227/....lexicon.co.za/

My first web design (actually it was the second or third iteration of it, the first one was reaaaally nasty. Done in 95 ;))

sweet.

Marc

edit : webmaster@lexicon.co.za was me baby! Allll me! :D

Actually, looking at the date. This was done about a month before I departed the dear world of programming to enter the dark world of 3d.... cool....

P.S. Don't mind me, I'm reminiscing over here...

When beer was free and the sun shone brightly...

...and you could browse the web with Lynx without the fear of missing something. :P

I like seeing people's roots, everyone should follow suit. :)

So what brought you over to the dark world of 3d? The ever so popular chrome sphere groupies?

jim.

So what brought you over to the dark world of 3d? The ever so popular chrome sphere groupies?

Wellll, now thats a long story :). The first animation I remember doing was some sprite animation on my XT with my CGA screen (copying Kings quest sprite cycles..). In about 1990 I went to an Autodesk Expo and asked around on how to get into it. Everyone suggested C++ programming as a good place to start, which I then proceeded to study. After coding business apps for just over a year and a half I decided to throw in the towel and go do an animation course.

Silicon Studio baby yeah! :D

That's pretty much it... .although I only got a job in 3d over a year later than that. Spent some time coding websites up until then.

There's a slightly different version on my website :).

And you? c'mon.... share...

I'm still pretty young so the story is short. :P

When I was like 13 I saw The Abyss and the "water weenie" hooked me on cg forever. Also I was memorized by the infamous chess.bmp that came with windows 3.11. I spent hours with MS's crappy little paint tool trying to figure out how they were able to create something 3D. <_<

CHESS.gif

With my first ever paycheck, (ahhh high school summer jobs), I went to the book store and bought a book called "Becoming a Computer Animator" by Mike Morrison. Which was more like a big tutorial book on how to use Caligari's TrueSpace 1. :rolleyes:

bca.jpg

Then I went to college, and Id's Quake came out. And was immediately hooked. Five and a half years later I graduated from college. (But not because of Quake, I transferred to a different school with courses in cg.) At some point a friend bought the RenderMan Companion and this was my first introduction the RenderMan. (It even had a plate with the water weenie!). Pretty much all my focus during the rest of school was with RenderMan. <<A moment of silence for BMRT>> After school I didn't have access to all the software anymore but then the Apprentice version came out so all was good again.

Which brings us to now. :)

jim.

Oh... My first introduction to Houdini was with version 2.5.

Our school was evaluating different software packages and Houdini was one of them. It was only for 30 days but I was hooked. I got to keep the manuals, heh heh heh.

A little while later SESI offered the "Introduction to Houdini Course" so me and a friend drove out to Santa Monica. I think the teacher was Steven Ong but I'm not sure. I remember talking to him about RenderMan during our break. The class was fun but I kept getting lost during the presentation because instead of following along I keep being distracted by all the neat stuff in Houdini. Kid in a candy shop. :P

jim.

A little while later SESI offered the "Introduction to Houdini Course" so me and a friend drove out to Santa Monica.  I think the teacher was Steven Ong but I'm not sure.  I remember talking to him about RenderMan during our break.  The class was fun but I kept getting lost during the presentation because instead of following along I keep being distracted by all the neat stuff in Houdini.  Kid in a candy shop.   :P

Well, I was teaching the Intro classes at Santa Monica. Were you in one of the classes?!?! :unsure:

So we met before but I can't remember now. :P There were many Intro classes over many months with many many participants. :blink:

Cheers!

steven

Yea I was in one of them. I'm pretty sure it was for Houdini 4. I remember everyone was all happy about a new UI. :P

I'm pretty sure it was in June of 2001.

Damn....this is sad....This was only 2 years ago but my memory is acting like it was a decade. :(

jim.

Well as evrybody have become so sentimetal, I can add my sad story about the harsh road to 3d :ph34r:

The very begining is in year 1988 when my dad brought home a mac II (I was seven at the time <_< ), now lets skip over to the year that 3d studio R3 was avaliable through warez (back then I think I had 486DX2 66Mhz 20megs of ram - wooha :lol: ) I even did some very sad looking visualisations form some house plans, I think the first time I got any money out of it was with R4 when I did some window frame cut-through (ya know the small pics that show how the darn thing is built) after that I experimented with softimage when it came out on NT and when I got my warez hands on maya 1.0 beta (those were the days :rolleyes: ) after that point legalization software became really popular in Estonia(Ex soviet country - if you are really wondering than it is located just south from Finland), so I was high 'n dry for a while (untill internet became popular) then I continued on Maya untill I saw Matrix, then rembered that I had Houdini 3.2 on some old warez cd (seemed a really WIERD B) programm and didn't look at it again for a while) well now I am here again on aprentice so - go figure

Actually it has been pain in the foot - In estonia to learn any 3d because there are handfull (read max 3) people who know anything about it and most of them keep their secrets :angry:

As I am graduating this year, probably will look for 3d work in the world

but most of the time I keep myself ocupied with all sorts of film and TV related projects, have work on feature films as lighting assistant - on university level films as director, dop, editor

At the moment workin on realtime TV project with Radeon labs nebula engine, an offcourse some web designs, lots of scripting, some programming etc.

Done many thing but looking to specialize in the field 3d (developing animation tools, and rendering)

Recently even bought my self an REALLLY old SGI O2 (it has poweranimator, composer and maya 1.5 origanl CD's :lol: ) but havent found IRIX 6.5 yet so (it is impossible to create pay-pal acunt from Estonia, so that rules out e-bay - tried once) :blink: so thats MY looooong and saaaad story

-Kaspar

BTW check out my member number Whats up with that (EDIT)

BTW check out my member number Whats up with that

When we transferred from the old forum to the new one some of the member numbers got messed about.

Number 2 though eh? Nice...

:D