yes another ocean test, at least i put a ship on top

exu

Hi guys, my first topic...

i try to use only buit in nodes... and i made in my spare time, in my old macbook pro, so

as soon i'll test using HOT, but only now i can compile it in leopard 10.5... :huh:

using bungie to deform grid, and after sent to DOP's ripple solver...

for foam particles emitted by group.

Sails are softbody POP's, and water is a choppy water displacement....

rendered in Mantra microploygon renderer ...

the Vimeo Link

http://www.vimeo.com/10955911

cheers

did you wanted to make ship looks like toon, I mean I see it this way, just my opinion, don't blame on me, but in 00:15 water looks very good really

Hi Nibbler,

In fact no, don't worry about it, i don't wanna blame anyone!

it's is a W.I.P section....

So it is still under construction, i put the ship just to be a "guest" on ocean simulation and shader.... as i said, my next improve will be made a sim using HOT (Houdini Ocean Toolkit ) .... and i take your opnion for next step... if i understood ... :D

by the way i'll attach a image with my original color correct, but i think that was too dark. and the most important thing (the ocean ) was gone ...

thanks for your feedback

cheers!

post-4199-127137723639_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael, thanks!

i'll, in fact the first thing that i try is copygeometry SOP aproach from H.O.T examples...

but i didn't a acceptable result..

what you suggest, a ray SOP ?

this is a my second attempt ... :blink:

cheers!

:)

nice...

one thing you might want to try is animating the boat using data from the ocean surface

looking forward to seeing more!

Hi Michael, thanks!

i'll, in fact the first thing that i try is copygeometry SOP aproach from H.O.T examples...

but i didn't a acceptable result..

what you suggest, a ray SOP ?

this is a my second attempt ... :blink:

cheers!

:)

Hey I like the latest render. Do you have any tips for ocean shader? How are you approaching it?

Btw be careful with a ray sop. You might get unwanted slidings over the surface especially with a moving surfac that

Hey I like the latest render. Do you have any tips for ocean shader? How are you approaching it?

Btw be careful with a ray sop. You might get unwanted slidings over the surface especially with a moving surfac that

Thanks, for tip about ray sop...

I don't think that i have any tip or trick for ocean shader, it's a basic liquid (using point color) from materials library, with small choppy water displacement and Env Map,

maybe the expression on choppy water offset can be a trick... i don't know....

i'll post the Hip file here since i can put all in same place... ( i hope until weekend's gone ) :unsure:

because i made it in 3 separate files... one for each step...and cache it, the project it's a big messy..

1- ocean ripples

2- H.O.T waves and Foam

3- Final Assembly

cheers

Hi Folks

The Files are here...

all need to be cached...

there's output drivers inside the networks to do it...

and maybe some files are pointed to wrong folder, i check, but...

if i forgot some file, please let me know...

cheers

ocean_test.zip

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

looks like i got a problem with the process of making ship wakes effect in houdini. First, I'm using HOT to sim a moving ocean surface( i turned on the choppy option to make the surface looks like real), and i put Outputdrive to cach this ocean surface. Then i want to use ripple solver to make the ship wake on this choppy surface......But when i sim the ship wake in the DOP network, i got unwanted slidings over the ocean surface.

I don't know why i still get unwanted slidings on the surface even through i have already cached the moving ocean. Has anybody got ideas why it always sliding?

slayerk, i have seen your ship wake effect, i like that,,, can you share some tips, have you got the unwanted slidings before?

Thanks

Edited by CSN0309

Hi, CSN0309,

You need solve ripples first, them use a (colored) group to VOP SOP to "add" Ocean Waves to Ripples Waves... you can see how you do this on files ...

cheers

Cassio

Hi guys.

looks like i got a problem with the process of making ship wakes effect in houdini. First, I'm using HOT to sim a moving ocean surface( i turned on the choppy option to make the surface looks like real), and i put Outputdrive to cach this ocean surface. Then i want to use ripple solver to make the ship wake on this choppy surface......But when i sim the ship wake in the DOP network, i got unwanted slidings over the ocean surface.

I don't know why i still get unwanted slidings on the surface even through i have already cached the moving ocean. Has anybody got ideas why it always sliding?

slayerk, i have seen your ship wake effect, i like that,,, can you share some tips, have you got the unwanted slidings before?

Thanks