Flamethrower effects?

Raymond Chua

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a flamethrower effect in Houdini but so far I cant achieve the look I want.

I am aiming for something like this: http://speffects.com/images/postings/flamethrower1.mp4

Currently I use a particle system to flow out and drive the fluids, in this case I use pryo.

But somehow, I cant achieve the flamy effect and the last burst of flames in the end.

I have attached a scene file which might not be helpful I think. :(

Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks. =)

Regards,

Ray

FlamesTest_v006.hipnc

Haven't looked into your scene, but make sure your particles die out and fade out their volume emission.

And also turn on point and volume collision on the solver, and make the particles be a collision object itself, that adds some nice detail.

Been setting something like this myself, but haven't updated it in a few days, I'll look into it this weekend.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I have not gotten any good results with the particles driving the fluids, not sure why.

I have been playing around pyro fluids though but still far away.

So far I am only simulating the fire as I want to get the solve right before I move on to smoke.

Here are some Quicktimes. Any tips will be very grateful! :)

Ratman: If you achieve something with the particles, please let me know! :)

Regards,

Ray

flamethrower_TEST_v001.mov

flamethrower_TEST_v002.mov

I'll just throw in a couple things having seen your sims (but not your file, I'm at work now)

I'll take as example the second mov since it's better than the first.

It seems you already accomplished the pyro taking the velocity of the particles, and that's cool.

The problem is that you actually have a "tongue" of fire, that extinguishes and tapers at the end.

One of the easiest ways to solve this is to set a little diffusion on the temperature (i suppose you're using that for the fire) and put the vortex confinement higher (something like 4 or 5 could do the trick).

You can also try to use fuel combustion to achieve the smoke, but make sure you have really, really little gas emission (because otherwise the fluid will "explode" augmenting the occupied space) and adjust the soot emission accordingly.

If I have time this week i'll try to put something on for ya.

Cheers,

Emanuele

EDIT: And yeah, it is slow, speed up the particles!

Edited by Akabane

I'll just throw in a couple things having seen your sims (but not your file, I'm at work now)

I'll take as example the second mov since it's better than the first.

It seems you already accomplished the pyro taking the velocity of the particles, and that's cool.

The problem is that you actually have a "tongue" of fire, that extinguishes and tapers at the end.

One of the easiest ways to solve this is to set a little diffusion on the temperature (i suppose you're using that for the fire) and put the vortex confinement higher (something like 4 or 5 could do the trick).

You can also try to use fuel combustion to achieve the smoke, but make sure you have really, really little gas emission (because otherwise the fluid will "explode" augmenting the occupied space) and adjust the soot emission accordingly.

If I have time this week i'll try to put something on for ya.

Cheers,

Emanuele

EDIT: And yeah, it is slow, speed up the particles!

Thanks for your comments.

For the sim you are looking, there is no particles as I can't seem to get it done correctly.

I am just wondering if there is a way to make the fire turn into smoke when it dies off and then slowly vanish into the air?

Regards,

Ray