slow motion smoke

sanostol

hi, lets say I have a smoke simulation in normal time, but now I want to do the same simulation as slowmotion, so that the aniamtion has 10 times more frames, but with exactle the same animation,

how can I achieve this. setting the frames per second high, and or manipulating the scaletime parameter of the dop completely changes the simulation.

Martin

Scale Time seems to divide down your temperature and buoyancy values. Scaling down time and readjusting my settings seemed to be the only way I could get slow motion smoke working.

So you'd might just have to play with it.

Though I'm sure some sort of retime tool could be build using the volume vop stuff.

actually I am doing this very thing for a shot now and having great success at running the sim realtime then using the sequence blend sop to blend the

voxel data

so far it seems to work like a charm

you can also readvect density thru the blended vel fields with the time scale of the advect dop set to the new rate

i recommend not using the time scale as there are a few fields that dont respect the scale and you cant animate the scale

these issues are not present in the blending method

You can do that easily with points, but voxel volumes are a different thing.

thanks guys. i tried the blend way yesterday, but for me it seemed a little bit strange, as densities are not moving between the frames they are more or less fading out on one place and fading in on the other. as I have to speed down very much it was not good enough. but I will try the sequence blend today. I did a normal blendSOP with a linear interpolation between the frames.

I also tried to upres my low and slowdowned basesim, I scaled down the velocities in the slowdown cloud and the upress extinguished the bad movement.

at the end I'm simulation 4 times more frames now, and do the timewarp in comp. but blending voxel data is very tempting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried to change the "timescale" for the gasAdvect nodes

in the LOWRES and UPRES solvers ? that should work if you're not using

any combustion model : just smoke

:)

thanks guys. i tried the blend way yesterday, but for me it seemed a little bit strange, as densities are not moving between the frames they are more or less fading out on one place and fading in on the other. as I have to speed down very much it was not good enough. but I will try the sequence blend today. I did a normal blendSOP with a linear interpolation between the frames.

I also tried to upres my low and slowdowned basesim, I scaled down the velocities in the slowdown cloud and the upress extinguished the bad movement.

at the end I'm simulation 4 times more frames now, and do the timewarp in comp. but blending voxel data is very tempting :)

• 2 years later...

here is a simple smoke solver file with promoted advection speed parameter ( on the advect speed node ) smile.gif

I'm tryng to do the same in Houdini 12.5, and with Smoke Solver, inside Pyro node, and seems more complicated that before, actually. Someone know ?