Marschner hair model

ssh

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What version of Houdini are you using on farm?

Hair shader was compiled with vcc from H11.

As a test may I suggest you to download the very first version of shader from first post of this thread.

As far as I remeber It was compiled with vcc from H10.

Will this version produce the same error?

Can not now say what went wrong in this case.

But I do know that my shader is being used in production in several studios with Windows, Linux and mixed environments without any errors.

I just spoke with the IT guys, we're not using CacheFS or any other similiar. They tried to manualy restart render nodes and there's same error. Strange thing that 2 nodes are rendering scene correctly. The rest of render nodes which are exactly same with same settings gives an error.

Darn ... it's a very frustrating issue I know. Are you on Linux? Perhaps see what happens if you rsh into the render node and manually run "mantra -f yourifd.ifd" to see if it spits out the same error. One more thing you may try is on your Mantra ROP checking the "Properties > Render > Force VEX Shader Embedding" (or maybe "Properties > Render > Output OTLS with Full Paths") and see if it behaves any better.

PS. I am going to split this topic off soon into something dealing with this issue as not to pollute the Marshener thread

GREAT SUCCESS!

Cool:) Now the question is "WHY?" - and I fear the answer could span networking subtleties (blocksizes, etc), OS caching, network controller caching, UNC/Samba/NFS path screw-ups and all manner of other ugly words. At least you have a workaround and SESI have another independent report (other than us) of this happening.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

cool can there be per specular... and how about the illumination loops? the only color channel is for multiplying the ambient occlusion with color pass can you integrate these into the shader so that it becomes pretty usable.

Edited by kensonuken

• 1 month later...