blender 2.5x

static

i wonder if the "volume with particle density" is similar to what krakatoa does. getting that level of detail and smoothness with particles-to-volume in houdini is pretty expensive as far as i know

it's usually a memory and storage issue, since you have to sim all the particles before rendering in houdini, whereas krakatoa relies on generating points at rendertime. Of course, there's always delayed load geometry shaders...

Edited by static

that's cool indeed.

The fur combing tools rock as well, each strand of hair is a bunch of particles that you can push around in real time.

Really quick and controllable.

Wish same thing was in Houdini.

Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. I might have to give it a go.

Edited by pgrochola

Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. I might have to give it a go.

I have switched to Blener from 3dsmax here at work. Although all we do is low poly for games. Some things that I really like about it are:

- fast modeling once you get used to it;

- rigging;

- texture painting;

- ultra lightweight/flexible work environment (

).

Yep Blender is getting better and better.

I think that once the 2.5 release was stable and get more mature it will begin to be a really good alternative for many studios.

Having Blender I cant see the adventage of use Maya, 3DStudioMAx, Lightwavw, XSI ....

The only good thing for Houdini is that Blender is following the same approach as the rest of the world, is not in the fully procedural world like Houdini.

Having Blender I cant see the adventage of use Maya, 3DStudioMAx, Lightwavw, XSI ....

The only good thing for Houdini is that Blender is following the same approach as the rest of the world, is not in the fully procedural world like Houdini.

THIS guy is trying something on that line, and he even uses the word "Houdinification" at some point :-)

Edited by Andz

i wonder if the "volume with particle density" is similar to what krakatoa does.

Nope, it's not point rendering, it's basically doing ranged lookups in a point cloud. Blender's volume renderer is using its 'texture' interface to get shading properties (density, emission, etc) per sample. So there's a voxel data texture (which retrieves filtered voxeldata from things like smoke sims), a point density texture, or you can also use the built in 3d procedural (eg. noise) textures. It may probably be faster (at the expense of memory) to bake such point clouds to a voxel data structure and render that rather than sampling the point cloud at render time, but it's a quick way to get feedback rendering particle systems etc.

• 4 weeks later...

That's great work. I'm constantly surprised by this new version of Blender.

Also on that site is a video for their upcoming 'sculptris' type sculpting tool... very nice indeed.

M

By the way, Farsthary was hired by 3D Coat team, and is now implementing that unlimited-clay tool in 3D Coat

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/first-baby-steps-of-liveclay-feature-in-3d-coat/