Clothing

Marc

Hey guys

I didn't want to pollute this thread here:

So I thought I'd start a new one in the relevant forum.

Anyway, so how do artists generally model clothing for characters? Going by what tools SESI has released, and what E.d.w.a.r.d says, the proposed workflow would be to model the flat panels first which would then get sewn together on the character using the cloth solver.

Is this how it goes?

It seems really... uh... really difficult and inefficient to me. ie. If I wanted to clothe a character then I would need to somehow figure out a cutting pattern for their clothes; model it; sew it together; see where it doesn't fit properly; go back and remodel; rinse and repeat until I get what I want? And the "sewing" section involves running a cloth sim to pull them together first?

I guess if I was buying prebuilt real life clothing patterns then this would be useful, but if I'm a modeler surely the best way would be to model the clothing on the character and just sim it straight from there?

I'm confused about this, hopefully someone can help me out :).

Thanks

Marc

the proposed workflow would be to model the flat panels first which would then get sewn together on the character using the cloth solver.

haven't done cloth on a character before, but this seems incredibly 90's and ghetto in this the 'ncloth era'.

curious to find out more about this aswell...

Just some clarification about Houdini's cloth workflow:

There's no need to sew together anything if you want to use the Houdini cloth solver:

you can just model your cloth as a single connected polygon mesh and simulate it.

You don't have to make separate panels.

There is also no need to triangulate cloth, nor is this recommended.

Houdini's cloth solver has better looking results if you simulate quads directly.

Michiel

Edited by michiel

Just some clarification about Houdini's cloth workflow:

There's no need to sew together anything if you want to use the Houdini cloth solver:

you can just model your cloth as a single connected polygon mesh and simulate it.

You don't have to make separate panels.

There is also no need to triangulate cloth, nor is this recommended.

Houdini's cloth solver has better looking results if you simulate quads directly.

Michiel

Awesome! Perhaps I've missed it then, but the last demo's I saw involved a lot of triangulation stuff. Anyway, that's very good to hear thanks for the clarification.

M

Not sure if you want to use houdini cloth for characters. The cloth solver becomes really inefficient and painful when you have collisions, you might prefer to use ncloth or syflex. ( maybe the cloth solver as been improved in h11? )

What I would do is model the cloth on the character, trying to model it in the good shape, but without gravity if you know what i mean, and then use a cloth solver. Basically what you want is having a rest position without folds and quite similar to what the cloth is by itself, just deformed by the body.

Cheers.

Edited by Div

Yeah, if you can sim the clothing on the character then your options are endless. My initial post was more about the need for the triangulate2d part of it all, which would require all sorts of hoops to jump through.

Now that we've got it all sorted though... is anyone doing clothing sims in Houdini? I'd be interested to see some.

M

Yeah, if you can sim the clothing on the character then your options are endless. My initial post was more about the need for the triangulate2d part of it all, which would require all sorts of hoops to jump through.

Now that we've got it all sorted though... is anyone doing clothing sims in Houdini? I'd be interested to see some.

M

about the cloth creation 2d part, in marvelous you have a 2d view kind of illustrator for pattern, sewing pinning etc, and its nearly live linked to 3d view of the cloth sim on you character.

its really fast.

Edited by theflu