PBR artifact - white dots on image

Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before. I vaguely remember reading something about this but my search didn't come up with results... :(

My problem is this: I'm rendering an image using just an environment light, with an HDRI assigned to it. The object (a simple teapot converted to polygons and subdivided at render time) as a mantra surface shader assigned to it (but with the same settings as a stainless steel shader). If I render the image, I'm going to get white dots on the places the surface reflect itself...

If I turn down the "reflect objects" on the shader I no longer have the white dots, just the shadow of the object... But I would like to have the (smeared) image of the object... I tried increasing the number of samples, the number of pixel samples...

Any tips would be invaluable!

pbr_WithErrors_crop.jpg

Try to turn down the color limit in the Pbr options.

check the bottom lines of :

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/rendering/pbr

Obrigado Cordeiro! :)

(Thank you Cordeiro)

By the way in Houdini 11 you don't need to add anything... just go to the PBR tab and the Colo(u)r limit is there!

However... it didn't helped! :(

Would i be right in guessing that your object is highly reflective? Is your diffuse amount set to 0? try setting it to 1.

Hi!

You're right about the material being highly reflective!

I tried your idea, but still the same result... in fact, a bit more points also! ;)

Hi petz!

I haven't had (yet) the opportunity to blur my image, but I tried instead with one of the low res hdrs that ship with Houdini and that and messing around with the colo(u)r parameter again seem to have improved the image... it's not perfect yet, but there's less points (and they're not white points anymore...)

Hi again!

despite the problem isn't solved completely, I think I;m quite happy now, specially since this is going to be a environment pass, that will be (slightly blurred and) composed with others passes.

So... THANKS to all that sent me suggestions/ideas to solve the problem!