opensource OpenEXR i/o

Jason

Hi there,

Is anyone interested in collaborating in making an EXR file reader/writer for Houdini and sticking it on the open dowload forum at Savannah Non-GNU downloads here as I see has happened with the Renderman and Photoshop EXR display drivers?

Thanks!

Jason

PS. Anyone know whether HDK users are allowed to opensource their plugins?

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason,

I'd be interested in using it :P And if I wasn't so snowed under I would like to help out ...

I spoke to one of the sidefx guys about the possibility of this at the siggraph meeting this year and they were concerned how the openexr code would sit in the HDK universe since the openexr lib requires C++ exceptions enabled (and handled) whereas HDK doesn't, possibly a platform dependant problem that would need to be resolved.

-Drew

Oh, I didn't know that. Also I've heard that the .pic format uses different image classes than the HDK ones because of the Deep Raster capabilities. I wonder if this is true? The major benefit would be to store those multiple channels inside the EXR format, but if the HDK i/o classes doesn't support them, then half the yumminess of the format is lost.

Perhaps we can get a SESI person to confirm or deny this? Or maybe SESI will implement it for us;-)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, there was some weird intensity scaling problem in there which seems to be fixed now - woohoo! Here comes some small, fast, hot, mblurred reflection hits! (It's sad, really, the things that turn us on...)

Cheers,

J.C.

• 2 months later...
Guest xionmark
PS. Anyone know whether HDK users are allowed to opensource their plugins?

I think it's OK ... I've had 2 super simple plugins on the web for a while and never heard anything from SESI ... of course I'm working with academic licenses and can't charge for the work, maybe that's the diff ... not sure.

Oh, do you mean to post on something like Source Forge ???

--Mark

I think it's OK ... I've had 2 super simple plugins on the web for a while and never heard anything from SESI ... of course I'm working with academic licenses and can't charge for the work, maybe that's the diff ... not sure.

Oh, do you mean to post on something like Source Forge ???

--Mark

13701[/snapback]

I guess none of this really matters anymore since they're encouraging plugin development with Apprentice now:)

Actually, what is the license agreement and such with SourceForge? Would it be possible, or even a good idea to have a HoudiniHDK project and allow people to up/download source from there?

Can a plugin to commercial software be considered Open Source? If so, which license? GPL? MPL? Public Domain? I know nothing of this type of thing.

I tried to look at the publically available OpenEXR plugins to Photoshop and PrMan and saw nothing of any license agreement,