Scene organisation

Hey!

I was wondering if any of you could share insights in how to organize a scene with loads of passes smartly. I am running into an issue that i have a fairly small asset. This asset exists a couple of times in the scene. I set up a take for the first one but had to realize that takes dont just copy and paste... what would you suggest? What would you do? How do you think to set up a scene properly ?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Jo

Hi Johannes,

You can copy and paste Takes - it works pretty well - just do it from the Take List.

The help has a fairly good bit of info for using takes - do a search for "Create variations with takes".

Also, be sure to uncheck the "Allow Auto Take Mode for Locked Assets" in your Preferences > Takes as this can cause some real headaches when creating takes (trust me - I know!).

What works really well for me, mainly on simpler scenes, is to duplicate the Mantra ROP and use the object mask parameters (on the Objects tab).

Especially useful are the "Force Objects", "Forced Matte" etc input fields, as you can turn the display flags off and still have them render and use as mattes etc.

But as I said, mainly useful with simpler scenes.

Hope that helps,

Matt.

Hey Matt!

Thanks for your reply! I am aware of the fact that you can copy takes. I am currently struggeling with the fact that i can not copy things INSIDE a take. Lets say you make sphere1 and edit it. Put it in a take to change its shader for a pass. Then you copy sphere1 and get sphere2... now in the take sphere1 and its changes are listed but sphere2 is not listed. The only way around this to redo the changes for sphere2 in the respective takes.... basically i have an asset that represents a laser beam, now i want to add another one and every time i do this i have to redo the takes. Sucks. So i was wondering if you could setup smart bundels with a pattern like sphere* whem you do your takes.... every new sphere woudld be in there and the attributes would be the same.

I am just wondering what the standard way of people is here, if you tell me that i should approach this differently i am happy too.

Thanks so far!

Jo

yes, bundles/smart bundles for takes would be cool, or any system closer to Softimage's render passes would be awesome, they are so procedural

but you can use Parameter Spreadsheet to set your parameters for the take on all beams at once

this of course implies setting the takes when all your objects are ready

Hey Jo,

I normally do pass setup at the end of animation/fx/lighting, so that I don't run into the exact problem you have!

I guess it would be nice to have a way of including Take info in copied geo, but knowing how complicated Takes can already get, I think that might just add a whole lot more potential for trouble!

Have you considered using material overrides? Or adding attributes that your shaders can use and outputting extra image planes?

These are 2 workflows that I find are extremely flexible and procedural too.

Later,

Matt.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe you could just use a NULL with an edited parameter interface that holds the changes you are doing in your takes and then just link the parameters of sphere1 to those of the NULL. That way if you copy sphere1 the channel references will be in place for sphere2 and thus the changes you made in your takes.

You could also make a reference copy of your sphere1 instead of an ordinary copy.

-dennis

Edited by dennis.weil

• 2 weeks later...