making an object emit light

Lukich

Hi. I was wondering if there's a way to make an object, let's say, a curve, emit light. I'm trying to emulate one of these old electronic lamps that had a little lightning inside of them and I want the lightning to reflect off the glass surface of the lamp. I'm out of ideas on how to do it. I tried instancing the light to the points on the curve, but it turns out to be too intense even if I crank down the levels to the very minimum.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Can you do it in comp? The easiest thing would be to render a white curve, then glow it in comp. The same could apply for your reflections. If you do decide you need actual lights, perhaps resample your curve to instance fewer lights... you probably only need a few to complete the illusion.

Anakin, thanks for the advice. I tried to do it in comp, but didn't think of adding a glow to the reflections. I'll try that. As for the actual lights, just to test it I resampled my curve up to points, got rid of all the lights in the scene except for one, and set value of the light and option "dimmer" to very low values (0.001), but it's still extremely bright. Is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...
Can you do it in comp? The easiest thing would be to render a white curve, then glow it in comp. The same could apply for your reflections. If you do decide you need actual lights, perhaps resample your curve to instance fewer lights... you probably only need a few to complete the illusion.

How can you instance lights (OBJs) to the vertices of a curve (SOP)?