Production Fluid voxel settings?

viezel

Hi there!

Im doing my master thesis on Fluid simulations in Houdini. Im comparing different voxel settings in the pyro solver.

The question I would like you guys to answer, is when are you doing a commercial for a client, which voxel settings are you using for the final simulation?

Please also state which kind of simulation you are making, like: smoke, fire, both, etc...

Hope someone would help me out.. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply.

And you are complete right, plenty of settings has everything to do with the looks of the simulation besides the voxel definition. I know im asking a rather odd question, but I would be very pleased just with estimates.

Lets say you are doing a burned out building, with heavy dark smoke emitting from it. How high would you most likely go with the voxel definition? 200,300,500 or even higher to create realistic smoke?

Im not looking for a precise answer, just an indication.

hope that makes sense.

Well I have just done some fluidsimulations of fire in Maya(shame on me) wich required a high level of detail.

I had grids with 600 in voxel definition in some of the fluidcontainers. I must say that Maya gets painfully slow when

handlingen that amount of detail. Dealing with fluids that needs to be at a very high detail level, tends be very timeconsuming.

I like Houdinis quality in the rendering of fluids and the amount of controle it gives you, but I have not tried to push it futher than just the usually tests. Houdinis fluidcaches is smaller in size, so I guess it handles fluiddata more optimal.

Erik

That's a really funny question :lol:

- how far is your fluid from the camera ?

- how much depth is necessary (z-depth) ?

- how much time/memory do you have ? how many iterations per day ?

- can you split the sim between several machines ?

- how much motion blur ? (including camera motion blur)

- is the fluid even in focus ?

- are you using shader noise or volume sharpening ?

- how is the fluid rendered ? volume/particles/mix of both ?

- is the solver voxel based only or using particles too ?

- does it even have to be a sim or can it be a practical element ( 2d card ) or combined with it ?

to state the obvious, I would say whatever you can get away with as long as the client is happy.

:D

Thanks for the reply.

And you are complete right, plenty of settings has everything to do with the looks of the simulation besides the voxel definition. I know im asking a rather odd question, but I would be very pleased just with estimates.

Lets say you are doing a burned out building, with heavy dark smoke emitting from it. How high would you most likely go with the voxel definition? 200,300,500 or even higher to create realistic smoke?

Im not looking for a precise answer, just an indication.

hope that makes sense.

well some places will use accurate measurements of size to determine what resolution the sim should be, but generally you dont need to sim bigger than the number of pixels on the screen the sim takes up, so if ur have your 2k image and the fluid takes up 50% of the screen then you would want to sim up to 1k (which is pretty big!) and then of course optimize the resolution based on the scene (blur, moving camera, etc)

my 2cents

Edited by ikarus

well some places will use accurate measurements of size to determine what resolution the sim should be, but generally you dont need to sim bigger than the number of pixels on the screen the sim takes up, so if ur have your 2k image and the fluid takes up 50% of the screen then you wouldnt want to go up to 1k (which is pretty big!) and then of course optimize based on the scene (blur, moving camera, etc)

my 2cents

wow, thats news for me. But makes perfect sense!

Cheers for the other answers aswell. If more people have suggestion, please keep them coming!