Import Hou error

oldiesgoodies

Hi

I am trying to import hou externally. I have added Houdini python path then I issue "import hou" and that is what I get

adding the path

sys.path.append(os.environ['HFS'] + "/houdini/python%d.%dlibs" % sys.version_info[:2])

and the error

16 """

--> 18 import _hou

19 import new

20 new_instancemethod = new.instancemethod

importError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I am under Windows7 64

Any ideas?

thanks

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I know this is a stale thread, but just in case anybody stumbles on this thread trying to get it working... I wanted to say I have an external IDE (WingIDE) able to run with the python install that comes with houdini and I can import hou.  I have used an external IDE with hython on a mac for a few years (since circa 2009 I think) and it worked pretty well.  On the mac side, if my memory serves me, it didn't take much more than pointing my ide at hython in the $HFS/bin directory and setting the python path to include the $HFS/houdini/python2.7libs folder.  

I recently switched all my setup over to windows.  On the windows side I encountered the same error that people have been reporting (error trying to "import _hou"), but after some tinkering today and I have it mostly working all though it throws some warnings about 4 bindings it couldn't do.... but those warnings don't seem to be affecting any of the scripts I tried.  I thought I would share just in case someone is trying to figure it all out like I just was.

I am now on Windows 10, with Houdini 15.5 and python 2.7.

This old help doc was helpful: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/hom/commandline#idm47503603268592

Here is what I did:

In windows environment User variables in under the windows Control Panel/System/Advanced Settings/Environment Variables (just look up "Setting Windows Environment Variables" to get step by step:
Create and/or Set "HFS" correctly (to houdini version folder in Program Files)
Add "%HFS%/bin;" to Path (this is what the old houdini doc mentioned about windows and was the missing piece for me)

Point in your IDE to:
python executable - c:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 15.5.673\python27\python2.7.exe
add to python path - c:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 15.5.673\houdini\python2.7libs

Bonus to make a cmd shell work too, in windows environment User variables:
Add %HFS%/python27 to Path
Add PYTHONPATH with %HFS%\houdini\python2.7libs

I provided an image of the final version of my environment variables and a shot of code running in WingIDE and the resulting file open in houdini.

Hope this helps someone!

-bk

systemvars.jpg

importhou.jpg

Edited by briankulig
some formatting
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Hello brainkulig, the steps above work on houdini 16.5 and PyCharm 2017.3.

Would you happen to know how to connect to a live instance of Houdini? similar to what you can do with Mayacharm (where i can execute/code in my IDE an seeing results in Houdini itself?)

Thanks

-stas

Edited by stascrash

Hey Stascrash,

Glad it worked out for you!   I am versioned up to Houdini 16.5 as well and it works in there.

As for your pycharm question, there isn't something doing that I can find, but its pretty easy to setup with ports if you are comfortable with python.  When you do an "import hou" you are actually creating a running instance of houdini, but no interface.  I don't know if there is a way to show it.  But if you want two active programs (IDE and Houdini) to talk to each other, ports are the way to go.  I have done it in the past with Maya and Max.  I looked at Mayacharm, and that is what it appears to be doing too.  

Here is a tutorial of the basic idea:

https://pythontips.com/2013/08/06/python-socket-network-programming/

A couple of tips I remember off the top of my head are that using the port to trigger the app to just execute a python file is easier and safer than trying to send the python code through the port.   And server and/or client has to continue running depending on how you set it up.  I seem to remember that houdini (and I think maya too) will often close the python thread once it executes whatever code it does.  There is a way around by running a background thread (which also prevents the program from hanging waiting for input from the socket) that is buried in the docs somewhere, but I don't remember where off hand.

Good luck!

-bk

Edited by briankulig

• 7 months later...

Hey Kris,

Assuming the "it" in your question is getting your ide running houdini's python - I had it running on a mac for several years before i unfortunately had to migrate to windows.  It was actually much simpler on the mac side.  If i remember right, I just pointed my python ide project's python executable to be the "hython" in the bin folder of the houdini install and it got the correct libs automatically.  Unfortunately I don't have a mac these days to test if that is still the case.

-bk