Anybody was, is, or going to Bournemouth?

anim

Hi,

I am going to Bournemouth University MADE course for September 2011 term and I would like to hear some advice (from those of you who were/are already there) on that topic

mainly about accommodation possibilities in that area as well as your overall personal experience of your study, or if you were/are not a student then from living there

I was looking at some Housing possibilities provided directly by University and even though they seem to be the easiest way they seem quite expensive, but I cannot compare

That's why I want to hear from you

And if there is somebody who is also coming for this therm for any curse, I would like to know and maybe we can chat a bit

thanks for any info

Hey, Tomas, Nice to meet you!

That's great, we will be in the same class!

Have you applied for the accommodation ? The student village which is nearest to media school seems to have been full already according to the accommodation officer at the orientation. anyway if you want to live in the university accommodation, you have to apply for it as soon as possible, ideally before August.

Cheers. :D

Hi,

I am going to Bournemouth University MADE course for September 2011 term and I would like to hear some advice (from those of you who were/are already there) on that topic

mainly about accommodation possibilities in that area as well as your overall personal experience of your study, or if you were/are not a student then from living there

I was looking at some Housing possibilities provided directly by University and even though they seem to be the easiest way they seem quite expensive, but I cannot compare

That's why I want to hear from you

And if there is somebody who is also coming for this therm for any curse, I would like to know and maybe we can chat a bit

thanks for any info

Edited by ~nature~

Hi Lianyi, thats great you are coming

I know I need to solve accommodation question quickly, that's why I'm asking. But for applying for Uni. acc. I need unconditional offer, which I'm waiting for and in meantime I just need to look for another possibilities too.

Do you have accommodation already? if so which House?

Hey,

I'm in the final stage of the MADE course right now and have really gotten a lot of great knowledge out of it! As far as housing stuff goes, I'd really recommend living within walking distance of the Talbot campus (where the media school is). I'm in the student village, which is a 5 min walk to the labs. This convenience is really nice, particularly at crunch time. Another option is Okeford house in winton, about a 10-15 min walk. A bunch of people have rented houses in winton too. But I'd say living close is crucial because you will be in the lab so much.

The course is pretty intense, Working 12-14 hours a day isn't uncommon. Houdini and Nuke are the main tools we use. If you can, bring a computer with photoshop and premier, b/c we currently don't have those in the lab (linux machines). Hope that answers some of your questions, good luck

Edited by Loudsubs

A bit of a naive question... MADE would that be the MA in Digital Effects?

Hey,

I'm in the final stage of the MADE course right now and have really gotten a lot of great knowledge out of it! As far as housing stuff goes, I'd really recommend living within walking distance of the Talbot campus (where the media school is). I'm in the student village, which is a 5 min walk to the labs. This convenience is really nice, particularly at crunch time. Another option is Okeford house in winton, about a 10-15 min walk. A bunch of people have rented houses in winton too. But I'd say living close is crucial because you will be in the lab so much.

The course is pretty intense, Working 12-14 hours a day isn't uncommon. Houdini and Nuke are the main tools we use. If you can, bring a computer with photoshop and premier, b/c we currently don't have those in the lab (linux machines). Hope that answers some of your questions, good luck

Hi,Tomas,

Do you have conditional offer ? if so, I believe you can apply for it anyway although it requires unconditional offer.

and if not, you should contact the university actively to get the offer as soon as possible. Yes, I got the offer of student village.

As Loudsubs mentioned, Okeford house should be the best choice so far if in accommodation, other places need to take the buses.

cheers

Hi Lianyi, thats great you are coming

I know I need to solve accommodation question quickly, that's why I'm asking. But for applying for Uni. acc. I need unconditional offer, which I'm waiting for and in meantime I just need to look for another possibilities too.

Do you have accommodation already? if so which House?

Hi anim!

As Loudsubs mentioned (he is a couple of seats away from me... ;) ) there's something for anyone to learn here.Be it at Houdini or at Nuke you'll learn something new! Of course, you'll work several hours a day (not uncommon to sleep in the labs and spend the time eating such delicacies as chocolates from the vending machine or sandwiches...) and the machines have 4 or 8 GB's RAM so simulation wise it can be painful...

I'm at the student village and I cannot deny how cool it has been for me living so close!

I know it is a bit more expensive (being this "bit" something around 500 - 600 pounds (ufff...)) but there are advantages... you don't need to sleep in the lab, you can go home and 5 minutes later you're in bed, instead of walking home for 15 minutes (Winton) or more... you don't need to spend money in buses and you don't have problems with guys living in your house or with the contract finishing before the masters... You don't need to wake up earlier to do some sandwiches or a meal to bring in or go to the refectory, you can just walk back home and do something and be back in less then one hour... So you end up saving money!

You have, of course, to walk to Winton if you want to go to a pub (other then the one at Uni, of course) and to buy groceries...

See ya and good luck for next year! And yes, do apply as soon as possible for housing, even with the conditional offer...

Hey There

J.Santos and Loudsubs-A couple of nice guys here in the labs :) have mentioned some good points, heres my personal feedback

I am also in the final stages of this course, you do end up doing long hours, but what I have managed to do is work weekends at odeon (local cinema) usually one day a week, to keep the money going in, people think I'm crazy, but it can be done :P. As for living I got a Uni-Let House near winton which lasts from September till July which was nice as it was close by to the uni where I could either walk or drive, also not living on campus, (I think) is better as you wont be at university all the time, and its nice to get out for once :). When the contract ran Out in July, I have recently moved into hurn house. Which is nice, as it is in the main heart of Bournemouth town and you can the bus which drops you off right outside.And this contract runs from July to September.

At Uni-Let Houses though, you have to be abit careful of the internet, it has a crappy cap system where it resets over the month, if you go over it the internet is really slow. Also like mentioned the contract runs out like you were studying for the BA, where as Hurn House, Okefiled, student village, and the other uni buildings run throughout which is a bit of a pain. However as its a house you have ovens, which I may add the on campus student village doesn't.

What is good about hurn house is that the internet is awesome, and you have cleaners that take out the rubbish and general stuff, although there are (i think) 8 rooms per floor.

As for the course itself, it will as kick your arse, I have never had any experience with Nuke or Houdini, and this course has been great to understand methods of 3D and Compositing. I myself have struggled through lessons now and there, but I think it has been a good starting point.

Current student to with those awesome blokes!

Thought i'd chip in - i moved down here with my girlfriend so went through normal letting agents to find a house. Probably not a good idea if you're on your own (almost certainly not) but may be an option, i live in boscombe and bus goes from straight outside my house - plus dont have to worry about moving at all because the contracts based on normal living and not student term times.

The course is intense but great fun, definitely get you ready for industry. If you know houdini a bit already then i'd say really get a good handle on nuke in the first term - good compositing will really pull the best outta your 3D work. Also i wish i'd started using more of the equipment like the Track and Jib sooner for filming - once you've been taught how to use them its awesome :D

Edited by MrTonks

thank you very much for so many replies

I'll try university accommodation then, as I was planning

the only problem is my offer from university which I know is unconditional, but I don't have it yet.

I was trying to apply for student village, but then I found I have no UCAS number, but that I am solving with the uni

I am just sorry to hear that student village may be full already

Loudsubs, J.Santos, Kai87 and MrTonks thank you for great info and good luck with your final projects

pclaes, that's very interesting thread, thanks

Lianyi, see you there :)

I also hope to meet some of you others personally

It seems to be very interesting year ahead of me, I can't wait :)

anyway If there is anybody else, please feel free to join this thread, I would like to hear from all of you

thank you very much for so many replies

I'll try university accommodation then, as I was planning

the only problem is my offer from university which I know is unconditional, but I don't have it yet.

I was trying to apply for student village, but then I found I have no UCAS number, but that I am solving with the uni

I am just sorry to hear that student village may be full already

Tomas,

For the online application, you can also use your application number(reference number) instead of UCAS number, for the student village you may still try to apply for it as I know, some of the students may reject to go there, so there may be some chance for you to get replaced in.

Phoning them directly may be very helpful to obtain the most up-to-date accommodation information.

Best, hope to see you soon :D

Edited by ~nature~

hi,

If you check this website www.gumtree.com you can find a lot of rooms which are on offer for students. Although make sure not to transfer any money before you check the property :)

Winton ,Charminster and Wallisdown road are some of the areas where you can find many rooms and are quite near to the university. hth :)

http://www.gumtree.com/double-room-flatshare/bournemouth

Edited by zasid

just thought i drop in a line as well. yes i was one of the guy who brought in a full scale plaster figure into the lab several nights ago.

Yes nights, we do do long nights here.

I'm staying in okeford house in winton and personally i think it's a really good location. Apart from the 15 mins walk everyday (i'm not complaining), you have almost everything you need on the high street. Supermarket, pharmacy, pound shop, bars... So it makes for a good change out of lab life. On top of that it's a Masters student only accommodation, that kind of fraction out the crazy parties you might expect in the other Uni-let houses. Guess the rest of the lads had said enough of uni life. That apart, is the beautiful 7 mile beach.

Enjoy the year guys.

thank you roger, I have applied for student village, okeford and corfe in that order, hopefully something will still be free

Just thinking, do I need accommodation If I will be sleeping in labs? :)

Hey anim,

I am as well from this years MADE course. I just read your latest posting and felt like to tell you, not to apply for the corfe house in Poole (or at least, try to not live there). Not that you get me wrong, in my opinion it is the best place to live a normal life. You really have EVERYTHING what u need around, from shopping malls to parks, lakes, bars .. anything. I live in the top floor with a view at the sea, which is awesome... and since 3 weeks there is almost every week a super nice firework to watch... I dont know why... but it's there. However, since you will study digital effects, I really recommend you not to live in Corfe house. The bus times to Poole are really bad, as well the traveling time and traveling costs. If u need to stay longer than 10 pm at uni, you have to stay over night, otherwise its almost impossible to get home (except you take a taxi, which is expensive). So right now, I am almost staying over night at university every second day to keep things going.

After seeing your showreel, you wont have any troubles with Houdini, but gives you the opportunity to push yourself really hard. As others said, take your time in Nuke/compositing to get the best out of your images.

Good luck for the upcoming year, you will have a lot of fun :P

Hi chiess, thank you for the info

I know that corfe is a little far, that's why it's my 3rd choice, but I am not expecting spending every night in labs. When I am working here I am used to taking my work home for nights so I can wake up in my bed. I have very old notebook, but I can work remotely on the workstation in studio when doing some job so it's not a big deal, I am not sure if this will be possible on BU's workstations, but I was used to sleep in studios in the past years so if everybody will be in labs I think I'll join them, it's always good to work around other people :).

That's exactly why I chose MADEF over CAVE, I need to build some compositing/artistic skills

to change topic a bit

How is the weather in Bournemouth during the year? Is it raining a lot? Does it freeze/snow in winter? Is it possible to swim in the sea during summer? Or maybe it doesn't matter if there is cozy in labs :)