Benjamin button titles

jlmaradona

It basicly says how it was done at the vimeo link.

1. I simulated roughly 10,000 falling buttons in Houdini using ODE,

2. then randomly assigned 20 button models to the sim objects.

3. The studio logos and mattes were projected on the end frame, (texture projection)

4. then the textures were copied to all the prior frames so they would stick to the moving buttons.

5. I rendered everything in Mantra

That´s a really cool work.

I only have one question about the method, which otherwise looks pretty straightforward. How did the projected textures were copied onto prior frames?

My approach would have been baking the buttons camera-projected texture over the buttons UVs...is that what was done there?

Edited by Netvudu

mmm...indeed. It sounds like something that would work B) I have to try it. Let´s see if I can find 20 spare minutes at some point today. (silly work :lol: )

EDIT: no, I was speaking about actual baking without the Attribute copy, which is a faster way in my opinion. So in fact your idea is a good one.

Edited by Netvudu

Heh, I remember doing this immediately after I saw the credits first time :)

I had a Texture SOP, in camera projection mode, and I just locked the SOP after the buttons had settled.

After that I had a Point SOP copying the UVs from the Texture SOP to the DOP Imported geo. ($MAPU2 etc for the texture).

HI Netvudu (Javier),i dont found the way to work fine , can you send me a hip with a easy simulation. you did

Javier,veo eres de España y perdona por escribirte en Español,pero no me sale bien la simulacion de los botones,bueno lo hago con circulos,si me dejas probar la tuya te lo agradezco

Un saludo

HI Netvudu (Javier),i dont found the way to work fine , can you send me a hip with a easy simulation. you did

Javier,veo eres de España y perdona por escribirte en Español,pero no me sale bien la simulacion de los botones,bueno lo hago con circulos,si me dejas probar la tuya te lo agradezco

Un saludo

Write out simulation geo. Use UVTexture and project from camera. Lock the node at whatever frame you want it to perfectly align. Use attributecopy to copy the UVs back to the written out geo.

post-5363-13164681521_thumb.jpg

Sure.

Here you go. This version looks quite worse because I just used 800 boxes, as opposed to the 10,000 buttons that they used in the original, but this one is just for testing purposes. I also used the Mandril default texture so you (or anybody else) can check it easily.

Warning! Spanish ahead :P

Aquí tienes la escena. Sólo hay 800 cajas en lugar de 10,000 botones, así que tiene claramente peor aspecto que el original de Digital Domain, pero sólo lo he hecho para comprobar que funciona. Sería muy fácil aumentar el número o poner otro objeto en lugar de las cajas, ahora que ya está. Lleva la textura del Mandril incluída en la instalación de Houdini, para que no te de problemas, aunque puedes poner cualquiera desde el material.

Cualquier pregunta, ya sabes, que los comienzos son complicados. ;)

RD_Test_LockedGeo.hipnc

• 1 year later...