Small Wall Explosion

TheAdmira1

I have always tried to create my effects w some variation of POPs, so I decided it was finally time to sit down and learn smoke. To do that Ive been trying to put together a personal project of a hole blowing out of a wall in the parking lot of my building. Sooo heres my progress so far. would love to hear feedback, good bad, or ugly. Im still trying to figure out what forces to use, how to dissipate better and how to control my shaders better... but here it is.

most current video(10/5/11):

the next tests were of the wall exploding alone, this render is in 3D, but you can turn off the 3D in the bottom right of the player here

this is the first test using smoke and a wind force + impulse force

and in this render im trying to use multiple smoke sims w metaballs and magnet forces. also, im using the feedback from the internal smoke explosion to help drive the fracture in the wall

Again I am still learning and sifting through what information I can find, but this is what I have come up with so far. hope you like it

Edited by TheAdmira1

I have always tried to create my effects w some variation of POPs, so I decided it was finally time to sit down and learn smoke. To do that Ive been trying to put together a personal project of a hole blowing out of a wall in the parking lot of my building. Sooo heres my progress so far. would love to hear feedback, good bad, or ugly. Im still trying to figure out what forces to use, how to dissipate better and how to control my shaders better... but here it is.

most current video:

the next tests were of the wall exploding alone, this render is in 3D, but you can turn off the 3D in the bottom right of the player here

this is the first test using smoke and a wind force + impulse force

and in that first render im trying to use multiple smoke sims w metaballs and magnet forces. also, im using the feedback from the internal smoke explosion to help drive the fracture in the wall

Again I am still learning and sifting through what information I can find, but this is what I have come up with so far. hope you like it

the speed of it is looking pretty good

You should break up those big smoke "blobs" with turbulence.

try adding turbulence where the density is zero or low, that does the trick. Boosting the vortex confinement also helps :)

Thanks Bunker! If you up the vortex confinement do you need to also up the force in order to get the same result? And this is probably a really dumb question, but where do I add turbulence? I have a noise dop adding to my magnetforce in order to break up the forces, and noise on my apply source and shader. Is turbulence a param Im missing or do I create my own through a VOP? TIA!!

I guess you are using a smoke solver then, not a Pyro solver (it has turbulence built in)

You can make your own turbulence in a gasfield VOP microsolver, but a simpler way out

of the shelf tools is to add vorticles to your smoke solver.

Thanks Bunker! If you up the vortex confinement do you need to also up the force in order to get the same result? And this is probably a really dumb question, but where do I add turbulence? I have a noise dop adding to my magnetforce in order to break up the forces, and noise on my apply source and shader. Is turbulence a param Im missing or do I create my own through a VOP? TIA!!

• Like 1

I guess you are using a smoke solver then, not a Pyro solver (it has turbulence built in)

You can make your own turbulence in a gasfield VOP microsolver, but a simpler way out

of the shelf tools is to add vorticles to your smoke solver.

Awesome! Thanks again Im going to try that now and sim it out for a new flipbook

So Im having an issue rendering that I can not seem to track down... I have cached out about 120 frames of the sim to file, have read them back in. I am trying to use the stock billowy smoke shader for my smoke and the stone shader modified to be grey like my scene. I hit render and whether I write to file or ip render it, my comp reboots at around frame 17-22... Cant find the issue with it, I have a more than ample workstation, and I am not getting any windows errors. Has anyone had a similar issue and have a solution? TIA!!

Reboots!? My first guess was video driver problems but if it's also happening when rendering only to disk, then it is a different hardware (or hardware driver) problem. When I first got an SSD drive, it was defective and the computer would automatically reboot when stressing the disk. Turns out that on Windows 7, the computer now automatically reboots whenever it blue screens by default! So it makes it impossible to find out why your computer is rebooting. To disable the automatic reboots, check out this link http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Reboots!? My first guess was video driver problems but if it's also happening when rendering only to disk, then it is a different hardware (or hardware driver) problem. When I first got an SSD drive, it was defective and the computer would automatically reboot when stressing the disk. Turns out that on Windows 7, the computer now automatically reboots whenever it blue screens by default! So it makes it impossible to find out why your computer is rebooting. To disable the automatic reboots, check out this link http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Thanks! Im going to read into that now...

Can anyone who works with Pyro often tell me if this seems correct?

So far it is at 4 Hours. It has rendered 28 frames with stock shaders, and ROPed out sims. The sims are 2 smoke sims running the pyro solver and one voronoi fracture. They are all being read back in and again are using stock shaders.

Also my workstation is a Asus P8P67 Deluxe running a Core i7 2600k OCed to 4.4 GHz and 16 Gb of Dominator 1600... I just assumed faster rendering from a cached out sim? Im still new to the Pyro and smoke solvers, but it just seems like a pretty long render. Any thoughts? TIA!

I thought I figured out my render/reboot issue. I updated my GPU driver, had my mantra write to a local OS drive folder instead of one of my internal network drives, and turned off the auto reboot from BSOD. The render got to frame 31 and rebooted itself in some mysterious way?! Watching watching watching.... Reboot! WTF!? So I thought hell with it, at least I got a good 30 frames, Ill just start the next render at 31, continue on, and deal with the render issue later.Then I took at look at what I had so far, and I think I have a pretty strange result. At around frame 25-28 the temp is dissipating and the smoke is becoming more and more desaturated as I would expect, then at frame 29 the exterior suddenly diffuses yet the interior becomes extremely saturated? So I thought my temp wasn't calculating correctly and that the shader must be reading it wrong. I turned temp off in my billowy smoke, and it has the same result basically, only without the red radiance on the interior. Also the opacity of the smoke in the desaturated version seems to flicker toward the end?

I am attaching the saturated render, and I am going to attempt to rerender with all noise turned off in the shader. I do not believe that this is an issue with the Sim because in flippbooks and on still frames the smoke does not loose opacity or have a density loss. It is only when I use mantra to render out with the billowy smoke. So I am going to attack the shader first, if removing noise and any rand doesnt work I will sub some other shaders in to see if I get a density loss, if I do, then Ill be diving back into the solver and checking my dissipation and diffusion rates. If Im still lost, then Im kind of screwed, because Im out of ideas at that point haha Sound about right?

WallExplode_together_cam1_v018.mov

Idk if this will help anyone else in the future if they're having the flickering density or the reboots issue... For me it was all the noise in my shaded... I had it cranked up decently high trying to.get better edges before I switched over to the Pyro solver. I know it was the issue that was killing my render times and definitely was causing the density problems. I am not 100% on the reboots, but after watching my render times drop from 7-19 min a frame to 2-3 min per frame and coupling that with my reboots stopping, my assumption is that the noise was making the shaded heavier than the sim and I was either spiking in temps on my cpu or my mobo was having a hissy fit running at 4.4 under 100% load? Again I'm not positive, but that seemed to solve the problema I was having... Will upload the new render shortly