Motion Vector Pass ?! (rsmb)

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble creating a Motion Vector Pass for a rendering that needs to go out very soon. (1h ago) :)

I installed the RSMB Motion Vector Otl from Houdini Exchange (Houdini Exchange)

and it worked fine for objects that are moved in OBJ Level.

As soon as I try to apply the same shader to particles (that are moving in local object space) the shader stops working and outputs the same green color

information no matter where and when in the sequence.

Any ideas?

btw there's a sample file attached!!

Thanks,

Manu

MotionVector_test.hip

• Downvote 1

Hey Manu, looks like a two-part issue. First off, you'll have to transfer the particles' velocity attribute to your sphere geometry in the copy sop. For this, just click on "use template point attributes" in the Attribute tab. Now that the spheres have a v attribute, you'll have to enable "geometry velocity blur" on your Obj, under the Sampling tab. This tells mantra to use the v attribute in calculating motion blur for that object. Fix those things and I think you should be set.

Hope that helps,

mike

Edited by mdunkley
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It should be working for 11.1 as well though I haven't tested. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try it out when I get home from work on my own box with 11.1.

Sure it does and it is 100% compatible with Nuke vector blur too. You just have to set the default value of "vector blur" node from uv= 0 to uv= -0.5. This is essential in order to compensate for the negative float values "vector blur" requires to blur pixels moving from right to left. Thank you xtimmyx for this!

Edited by Sifis
  • Like 1

It should be working for 11.1 as well though I haven't tested. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try it out when I get home from work on my own box with 11.1.

Got it working. Turns out it there were some permission issues on the directory where OTL's are stored. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure it does and it is 100% compatible with Nuke vector blur too. You just have to set the default value of uv= 0 to uv= -0.5 to compensate for the negative float values nuke needs to blur pixels moving from right to left. Thank you xtimmyx for this!

Hi sifis, for some reason I am getting the object blurred even when it is not moving. In Houdini the threshold is 1 and in Nuke I had a down a Vector Pass as you said and I have to increase the multiply parameter to get some blurring but as I said it is always blurred an not based on the real movement. Please see attached nuke file here: mblur.tar

Edited by cparliaros
  • Like 1

Hi sifis, for some reason I am getting the object blurred even when it is not moving. In Houdini the threshold is 1 and in Nuke I had a down a Vector Pass as you said and I have to increase the multiply parameter to get some blurring but as I said it is always blurred an not based on the real movement. Please see attached nuke file here: mblur.tar

Hey Christos, try this setup and let me know. mblur_fix

Edited by Sifis