baking to texture

carl

Hello,

I have recently been tasked with evaluating render engines for the purpose of baking textures for game assets. I have tried modo, mr, turtle and vray. However, I'm not happy with any of them so far with

regards to render time vs quality. I'm now evaluating Houdini for this purpose. I have used Houdini in the past albeit very briefly so my knowledge is quite limited. There are not many posts about how

to do this (bake textures) in Houdini. What I have been able to find is this so far:

Mantra ROP > Properties > Render > UV Render Object

Now the question is what do I do with it? I would be very happy if someone can explain me the steps to get a baked texture(non-procedural) out of Houdini

best regards

carl

Hi!!

Hope this setup helps you.

Thank you for this massive help Pazuzu

I would have never figured that out.

Now I have another problem :)

When I opened the file I couldn't render at first. Mantra gave this error

mantra: UV rendering unsupported with ray tracing

After 45mins I switched the Render Target from Current to Houdini 9 and I finally managed to render an image

The issue is I cannot render with Houdini 11.1 or anything above 9.5 even though I have my rendering engine set to micropolygon rendering. It still says raytrace.

Spend another hour on this but I believe its so simple that nobody wrote anything about it.

Well after another 30 min search on the forums I found this:

Both render region and IPR uses ray tracing even for micropoly ROP if "Preview" option is turned on (progressive rendering). 

Now I can die a happy man

Pazuzu thank you again, you saved me hours of frustration

in the example scene the map seems to be baked only on faces looking at the camera. Maybe there is a way to render a UV camera instead the perpsctive cam1?

Uv Render Object can definitely render a whole surface also back facing camera. Maybe there is no light in a scene? (can't check it myself, Linux hates rars...). It looks like even Enable Hiding is turned off automatically in that mode.

Uv Render Object can definitely render a whole surface also back facing camera. Maybe there is no light in a scene? (can't check it myself, Linux hates rars...). It looks like even Enable Hiding is turned off automatically in that mode.

Here's the zipped version. I have trouble getting this to work on my scenes. I'm either getting a black render or mantra bakes the image from the perspective of the camera unlike the version Pazuzu posted which bakes correctly.

baketex.zip

Here's the zipped version. I have trouble getting this to work on my scenes. I'm either getting a black render or mantra bakes the image from the perspective of the camera unlike the version Pazuzu posted which bakes correctly.

I seems to be working as expected. Looks like you were baking textures with constant textures applied in takes.

baketex.hip

Is it only for me the box turns invisible in the viewport when applying the box.rat texture on it? It gets visible if i select it, or if I move my camera to a lower perspective, and dissapears again if i move my camera up. visible, invisible, visible, invisible.. mystery box! (only checked on win7 64bit, havent tested in linux yet)