Any way to create a square tube using standard primitives?

magneto

It's fairly simple to create this using two polygon tubes and a cookie SOP. Create two tubes, both with End Caps enabled and type set to Polygon. Then connect them both to a cookie SOP, and set the operation to A minus B. Subnet, Create Digital Asset, and you've got your primitive.

Thanks guys.

It's fairly simple to create this using two polygon tubes and a cookie SOP. Create two tubes, both with End Caps enabled and type set to Polygon. Then connect them both to a cookie SOP, and set the operation to A minus B. Subnet, Create Digital Asset, and you've got your primitive.

Yes that's one way but I would rather not use the Cookie SOP though. It doesn't seem to produce the best geometry from what I saw when doing a tutorial.

what about a transformSOP?

I am not sure that can be used to transform the individual sections along the torus shape. Is it possible?

If you dont want to use Cookie node, try this.

1)Create Tube node - change type to polygon

2)Connect PolyExtrude node to tube

3)In PolyExtrude set Keep Points Shared to "Use Normals", set some Translate Z value, and in Option tab check "Output Back"

I love Cookie node, but you right, Its very problematic node. I know that boolean operation algorithm are very difficult, but I think that SESI dont work on this node very long time :(

Edited by cyybermax

Thanks guys, all creative methods.

If you dont want to use Cookie node, try this.

1)Create Tube node - change type to polygon

2)Connect PolyExtrude node to tube

3)In PolyExtrude set Keep Points Shared to "Use Normals", set some Translate Z value, and in Option tab check "Output Back"

I love Cookie node, but you right, Its very problematic node. I know that boolean operation algorithm are very difficult, but I think that SESI dont work on this node very long time :(

Yeah booleans are hard to produce a clean result. Max's booleans are probably worse than SESI's. But Max also has pro booleans (from npower) that produces the cleanest results I have ever seen. For instance get 2 boxes intersecting and subtract A-B, and subdivide the result, Max's standard boolean and Cookie will produce artifacts. Probooleans creates a clean surface,

How about:

1: create circle, polygon, 4divisions in xy plane

2: transform to rotate desired amount on z

3: revolve, x-offset determines radius.

Or am i missing something here?

Here is another simple way. Create a torus with 4 rows. Go into the Detail tab and uncheck "V Wrap" and change the V angles to 45 and 405 then it will rotate accordingly to your picture. Then put a FuseSop after the Torus if you want smooth edges.

I didn't know you could rotate the shapes like that, that's very cool.

Edited by magneto

I just tried to copy what I use to have in 3ds Max. The primitives in Max are way better.

There are some good primitives in Max, but I like how Houdini allows you to change the type on the fly. My bigger complaint was the Bend SOP in Houdini where I couldn't use it to bend a pipe into a complete circle. Max's Bend modifier and a few others out there offer more intuitive control here in my opinion.

Sure you can, check the attached file.

I got to admit though that it's a bit contra-intuitive to have to reduce the length of the pipe to get a full circle.

Thanks Rudinie. I can't wait to try out your scene today. I tried all options but couldn't do it.

I was expecting something like this in Houdini's Bend SOP:

Edited by magneto

There are some good primitives in Max, but I like how Houdini allows you to change the type on the fly. My bigger complaint was the Bend SOP in Houdini where I couldn't use it to bend a pipe into a complete circle. Max's Bend modifier and a few others out there offer more intuitive control here in my opinion.

The twist SOP is not the same as the Bend Modifier in Max.

I'm not sure how the bend in Twist is calculated, but it's not based upon the connected shape. The Bend Modifier in Max will align itself so that it always bends along an axis, moving the center point of rotation. So it looks like a tall object is bending over. Hard to explain unless you've used it.

Here's my first attempt at a xBend SOP, but it's still work in progress. I still want to make some more changes to how it works so that it's something you can use in more setups.

Enjoy, and yes, I've got a lot of xTools :)

xbend.otl

Edited by hopbin9
  • Like 1

The twist SOP is not the same as the Bend Modifier in Max.

I'm not sure how the bend in Twist is calculated, but it's not based upon the connected shape. The Bend Modifier in Max will align itself so that it always bends along an axis, moving the center point of rotation. So it looks like a tall object is bending over. Hard to explain unless you've used it.

Here's my first attempt at a xBend SOP, but it's still work in progress. I still want to make some more changes to how it works so that it's something you can use in more setups.

Enjoy, and yes, I've got a lot of xTools :)

Thanks Hopbin9, actually I am not sure why it's implemented as a single SOP. I imagine they wanted to use one unified algorithm to achieve all deformations?

Did you just make your Bend SOP?

If you continue posting your OPs like this, I will have to register a domain for you :)