Tornado R&D

Fabiano Berlim

Happy Holidays! :D

I take it that the Tornado shape is all done in the geometry node ?

Kinda. In sop level I have curve with all attributes needed and a geometry that's going to emit smoke.

Require attributes for the start up is: position of the curve points and edge direction (edge_dir).

These two attributes you going to fetch inside the simulation (gas field vop) using a 'point cloud open' and then 'point cloud filter' node.

Do you know how to use then?

Also the effect of the shading . It´s not the regular smoke billow shader ?

It's a Basic Smoke, as simple as can be. All motion and the look is done in the simulation.

Cheers!

Happy Holidays! :D

Kinda. In sop level I have curve with all attributes needed and a geometry that's going to emit smoke.

Require attributes for the start up is: position of the curve points and edge direction (edge_dir).

These two attributes you going to fetch inside the simulation (gas field vop) using a 'point cloud open' and then 'point cloud filter' node.

Do you know how to use then?

Hi there Fabiano,

Well I looked at these nodes , that you mentioned.

I have not used them ever, however, I get the general view and idea of what you are saying. I did the cmifx intro to vop vex, so I am familiar on how to go about it. Also on creating attributes. all is okay.

The only thing is , I kind of don´t know where to make the attributes, or what attribues to make. It would really save me a lot of time if you could give the details or a good hint. I take it we must create an

AttributeCreat, and transfer. would this be right under the volumevop.

I will see if I can figure out something , but I think it´s going to be really hard to figure it out exactly.

It´s really mysterious, you are really bright.

The clues you give are really cool, maybe if you can give this one, because HOUDINI is really huge and I know it maybe a simple thing to do ,

Thanks fabiano

hope you can find a bit more time

cheers mangi

Edited by mangi

Looking good Fabiano.

Hi there Fabiano,

Well I looked at these nodes , that you mentioned.

I have not used them ever, however, I get the general view and idea of what you are saying. I did the cmifx intro to vop vex, so I am familiar on how to go about it. Also on creating attributes. all is okay.

The only thing is , I kind of don´t know where to make the attributes, or what attribues to make. It would really save me a lot of time if you could give the details or a good hint. I take it we must create an

AttributeCreat, and transfer. would this be right under the volumevop.

I will see if I can figure out something , but I think it´s going to be really hard to figure it out exactly.

It´s really mysterious, you are really bright.

The clues you give are really cool, maybe if you can give this one, because HOUDINI is really huge and I know it maybe a simple thing to do ,

Thanks fabiano

hope you can find a bit more time

cheers mangi

There are a few .hip files in this thread about curves and point clouds in POPS that might guide you in the right direction.

Looking good Fabiano.

There are a few .hip files in this thread about curves and point clouds in POPS that might guide you in the right direction.

Martin, I did see this awhile ago.

Fabianos method is different.

he mentioned this:

"Require attributes for the start up is: position of the curve points and edge direction (edge_dir).

Do you know how to use then?"

The question is how do you set up the attribute transfer from the sops into the gas field vop

He mentions the nodes, but how do you pass that data from the sop into the vop?

What attibutes to creat. etc..

I want to know fabianos method. It really cool

mangi

Edited by mangi

Cool mawi!!!

Hey mangi! Give a look into this topic. The idea is really the same. The only difference is he is using "vop pop" and i'm using "gas field vop".

Particles are easy to debug then dynamics. I thing you should start with particles and then move to volumes.

Cheers!

Cool mawi!!!

Hey mangi! Give a look into this topic. The idea is really the same. The only difference is he is using "vop pop" and i'm using "gas field vop".

Particles are easy to debug then dynamics. I thing you should start with particles and then move to volumes.

Cheers!

Fabiano , I guess you did not get my point.

I am not really trying to make some kind of tornado, what I am interested is in the method that you are using.

I mentioned this, to mawi, that I saw that way and trust me there are a few other that are quit the same.

I wanted to know how and where you made the attributes and how to put them into the vop gas solver ?

thank you

mangi

Fabiano , I guess you did not get my point.

I am not really trying to make some kind of tornado, what I am interested is in the method that you are using.

I mentioned this, to mawi, that I saw that way and trust me there are a few other that are quit the same.

I wanted to know how and where you made the attributes and how to put them into the vop gas solver ?

thank you

mangi

And we tried to tell you that his method is like the once in the linked files. They are using the pointcloud open and pointcloud filter nodes to fetch attributes on the curve.

The attributes are created on the curve geometry in SOPS with a attributecreate node or some other SOP node that creates attributes.

They are being pulled into the gas field vop as a pointcloud with the pointcloud nodes. Only difference with linked files is that Gas field VOP operates on fields and VOP pop on particles.

I´ll make you a file later...

Here you go.

Density following a curve using pointcloud and gasFieldVop in its basic form.

Quit cool . I see you put it into a pyrosolver.

Its late here in madrid. will look at it in the morning .

thanks

I wonder how the shader will look and if it´sgoing to stick like fabianos on , That´s gona be another Hurdle.

cheers

mangi

hope you are around here in the morning to complete the full tornado.

check this out in the forum there are Search

tornado returned 140 results .

I think I read them all

Edited by mangi

I checked out all the attached hips and studied the comments - and the technique works amazingly - slight changes for H12 - but its fantastic - thanks everyone for the comments

now i have the basic setup - im starting to tweak.......

Thanks!!! It's indeed a very nice technique.

By the way. I'll be available to work a week from now. ;)

Cool - unfortunately no openings on my end - but i'm sure you'll have no problem finding work soon here in London - tons of call for Houdini pros.

Got anything lined up already? Realise studio is all Houdini.

Cool - unfortunately no openings on my end - but i'm sure you'll have no problem finding work soon here in London - tons of call for Houdini pros.

Got anything lined up already? Realise studio is all Houdini.

Hey Fabiano - any hints you can give as to your simplified smoke solver - what you used - and didn't use?

I can see your example has very little smoke dissipation.....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...