Blend between two surfaces based on point attribute

Hello! First post here - i`m a new Houdini person!

I have a question about the best way to blend between two surfaces with equal point numbers.

I can of course use the regular Blend SOPS, but i`d like to blend between the surfaces based on a point attribute.

For example,

if the point attribute is 0 - blend the point 100percent from surface A

if the point attribute is 1 - blend this point 100percent from surface B

if the point attribute is 0.5 - blend 50percent between surface A and surface B

I`ve looked at a few ways to do this. Alot of the SOPS id like to use to deform this geometry don`t seen to accept different values for each individual point number. I.e - the mountain SOP

Thank you! Hope this isn`t too basic, but fiddling about for ours just is not working!

Nice to meet you all.

• Like 1

Certainly sounds like it should work. Im not super clear on how to how to create the vectors between the points in Houdini.

Would this be the work flow?

Create a new vector on each point which represents the direction to the equivalent point on the other surface. (I guess id need the point expression or something similar to read from the second surface)

Then use the point SOP to move each individual point along that vector based on my original point attribute.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip! Im certainly going to have a crack at this..... Gives me some ideas..

You could just use the mix vop plug in the 2 P outputs and this will blend between the 2 point positions. I realize you asked for a vector but it seems this maybe what you are looking for. Of course point count won't exactly be enough, they will need identical point order as well...

Too kind Magneto! If only I got more time to fiddle with my videos.

Haha - of course I assume you are talking about Macha`s channel - oh boy thems some videos!

No I was talking about yours. Some good stuff in there. I just checked Macha's channel too, looks like some crazy stuff there too :)

3dbeing - Thanks very much, your method worked great. At first I couldn`t get it to work, but I think maybe I was importing my bias attribute incorrectly. (forgot to set it to be a float) Point order and Point number are exactly the same in my example.

Macha - i`m going to try the float idea too, just to see if I can create that in VOPs.

So helpful chaps - Thanks to you all!