Customize the user interface of an asset

hopbin9

Hi all,

So I want to create a new type of light that allows the user to pick the projected texture from a list of images.

Has anyone seen this cool plugin for 3dsmax?

http://www.agtoolcompany.com/?products=slr-1-5-for-mental-ray#3

Now, I haven't used the plugin but I like how easy the interface looks to use.

Is it possible to create a UI like that for an asset in Houdini?

How would you assign a bitmap to a button?

I found another light rig, this one is for C4D.

http://greyscalegorilla.com/lightkitpro/

Again, very cool. We need something like this for Houdini.

@rdg - thanks. What if I add a Houdini button to the parameters, and when the user clicks it I display a regular Python window with image buttons. Are you allowed to do your own Python windows in Houdini?

PyQt needs to be installed for it to work, and that seems like overkill just to show some buttons.

Does Hython come with a GUI API.

Doing a quick Google search on the subject, there are a lot of UI frameworks for Python but couldn't see if Python comes with one by default.

Hython is a 'replacement' for hbatch and meant to be run headless.

ah, of course that makes sense.

So that sucks then. We'll either have to install a Python library into the Houdini folder or keep the UI simple.

I guess I can just make the studio light rig as a normal asset, and worry about fancy UI features later.

You could stick to the regular image picker now since it will show an image in the file gallery, and have a menu drop down with the list of images.

I hope you drive forward on this tool, because it would be a very useful tool to have, even with out a fancy ui.

I second rdg - ui scripts with hooked callback functions is the way to go imho. Ui script allows to use native Houdini widgets together with ordinary HDAs. It's not that difficult to figure it out however you need to play around a bit with the docs examples.

I hope you drive forward on this tool, because it would be a very useful tool to have, even with out a fancy ui.

I have a long list of failed assets that never got past the initial coding attempts, but I hope this one makes it to the testing phase at least.

This light rig has been on my wish list for a long time. Some many times I've been working on something and wanted to quickly light it and wished I had an easy to use and quick studio rig. So I know the need is there for it.