Linux installing dead??

ykcosmo

• 2 weeks later...

it said:

Unable to find the system utility "ld"; please make sure you have the package "binutilg" installed, if you do have binutils installed ,then please check that "ld" is in your path.

so ,what is "binutilg"? I can' find it in utility. and how can I modify the environment of linux, set the path???

thankx

ld is a linker and is part of "binutils" , very much needed to build packages. No clue what binutilg is, hope thats a typo. try " rpm -q binutils " if its installed check your path, should be somewhere in /etc either profile, profile.env or whatever. Examine the files and look for "export PATH=....)" many distros handles these slightly differently.

If you setup linux correctly you should have binutils installed.

sometimes when you su you may not have access to the entire $PATH. login as root instead

• 3 weeks later...

greate thx.

what did you say "su - root "mean? I don't understand "su", what is it?

my english is poor.sorry.

I login as "root" .and now I installed linux8.0redhat. I can run maya under it now, but failed with opengl.

I think that's nv card driver problem. I downloaded the newest nv driver

.run file. but still failed to install.

the same problem. with erro on "ld".. sad!

su allows you to get access as a different user. so you can login to a normal account, and get root access in a terminal with "su - root" or just "su -".

did you check for binutils? here's a link to the package if you need it.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...em=redhat&arch=

did the nvidia .run fail to install, or just doesnt work? you need to change the driver from "nv" to "nvidia" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4). the .run file prints instructions, when it has installed.

• 3 weeks later...