Spaceship Formation

rohandalvi

This is my latest work. Did it entirely in Houdini. Got a bit of insipration from TRON :)

It was done for a seminar I had held last week in Pune for a demo of Houdini.

I wanted to do something which was related to Visual Effects but didn't use Dynamics or Particles in order To show a slightly different usage of Houdini.

The post work was done using After Effects.

with regards
Rohan Dalvi

Firstly thanks for all the nice comments.

Matt_K , the process is actually not very complicated. Mostly a lot of copy stamping for multiple curve generation and offsetting the animation per curve.

I am extracting curves using a Carve Sop from a nurbs model. Then I use another carve to animate it using a custom parameter, which is offseted for every curve using stamping.

The multiple curves are then generated using copy stamping. I am using $CY/$NCY in the copy node to ensure that all the extracted curves stay between 0-1 in the Carve Sop.

The rest of the stuff is like the dots and the text are just aligned to the end of the curve using an Align Sop.

The final geo is made using a simple Vop Sop , which has a noise map connected to a Ramp. I am animating the Ramp and then controlling the Primitive scale using the color generated.

I hope that helps.

with regards

Rohan Dalvi