Module 2 @ 3dbuzz.com

Buhrmi

nope...he's said as much before I believe...

the issue isn't bandwidth, but that he wants controls over how people get them - ie. through the site > people see the sponsors banners etc etc etc...

as for getting mod 2 vids without finishing mod 1, the point of the course is to teach Houdini - not just provide stuff for people to watch, Buzz was finding that many many people had downloaded VTMs and hadn't even watched them, or downloded VTMs for things they had no real interest in...it's just a waste of time...

I'd love to get them myself, but I'm too busy to finish mod 1...but I agree with Buzz on this..

Guest Demondo

Buhrmi,

Please understand that this is not entirely a problem that deals with bandwidth. In fact, while 3dbuzz is always struggling for money they have never (and at the time of posting, looks like, will never) allow others to mirror content. BuZZ, Logan, Zak, Joel, Derek, and the rest of the crew put in countless hours to keep the site alive. This involves creating new content, marking assignments, working insane hours at the Renaissance Center, and more. In return, they aren't asking for money (not to say Member Sponsors aren't EXTREMELY appreciated), but in some cases they do ask for your support.

This is one such case. The FREE online class has no deadlines, and consequently even if you are busy now there is no reason why you can't gain access to module 2 in a month from now, two months from now, or more. Rest assured, the amount of time you put into the assignments will not only benefit you (if only by refining your Houdini skill) in the long run, but it also helps reaffirm the 3dbuzz goal and helps keep morale at the "BuZZ cave" up.

The crew work so hard to help people who are serious about learning. Too many people leech, just because it is free. By doing the work needed to progress to further modules, you show them that you are serious about the topic, and this helps them.

Peace,

~Demondo (3dbuzz moderator)

Ahh, thx for clearing that up. I'm greatful for the work you guys put in, and I'm sure the others feel the same way. The Buzz Houdini vids that I did watch were fantastic. I'll join the course once I get a bit more time, cuz those module 2 vids sound too juicy to pass up.:)

i am going to have to go and agree with arctor on this one. i think what buzz is doing is great and works and is exactly how it should be done. i appreciate the time and efforts that they have put towards these things, let alone everything else. and i enjoy the fact that i have to work for that. even though that work is completely for my own benefit, so once again buzz is coming out as the good guys for making me a more intelligent and knowledgeable person.

Thanks and mucho appreciation,

Dave

... as a side note.. i read an article on this in WIRED this past summer and this thread made me think of it. MIT has taken the philosophy behind opensource ideals and has created a completely online college that will contain all of MIT's current available classes. It's being called OpenCourse Ware and I believe there are 500 classes offered already. They are having class notes and outlines done, video tape recordings of the lectures, book sources, quizes, and tests. and they are offering the whole thing for free. of course you do not get credit, but what an amazing oppurtunity for people to get an education that cannot afford it. really is a huge step in education and the advancement in society through knowledge imho. thought you all might be interested...

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html