CG Masters presents: Cracking Surfaces in Houdini 12

lor

FX TDs often need to crack, break and simulate buildings, roads and other hard bodies. Raymond Corbett, Houdini Master, provides a straightforward technique for creating an animated fissure and then passing the geometry over to DOPs for simulation in this new online training video. 3.75 hours.

http://online.cg-masters.com/videos/software/6

• Like 1

Is there a more comprehensive preview or breakdown of what the 3.75 hours of training contains?

The 0:48 second preview for that tutorial contains 28 seconds of title/advertisement and 20 seconds of a fairly generic crack-and-fall behavior like that which can be found in example files posted on the forums here.

That's not much to go on for deciding whether to spend $40 :)

• 4 months later...

Is there a more comprehensive preview or breakdown of what the 3.75 hours of training contains?

The 0:48 second preview for that tutorial contains 28 seconds of title/advertisement and 20 seconds of a fairly generic crack-and-fall behavior like that which can be found in example files posted on the forums here.

hi Ryew!

Maybe this is a late answer. Nevertheless I will post it anyway.

I am a beginner and have only used houdini for a few weeks. I just watched the tutorial. first of all this tutorial is definitly beginner-friendly and that is why it takes 3.75 hours. I have to be honest and say that even for me as a beginner it was a bit slow. If you are accostumated to houdini most of the time you will just want it to go faster and just explain the logic of building the crack and converting the pieces into rigid bodies.

The tutorial itself, the nodes used och the node network wasn't complex at all wich was easy to follow. Anyhow the logic can be applied for many different things and I would recommend you to watch it if you haven't figured out how to create a crack yourself.

The only thing I missed out in the tutorial would probably be subsequence tut witch created deformation or simulation on the pieces during the cracking itself. Often you not just want to have a crack, most of the times you also want the surface to grow or sink as in a fissure. Since the RBD-sim only starts after the whole crack is complete it doens't cover a fissure as most of us would want to create. Anyway, I found it worth the money and time.

thank you Raymond for the tutorial

/H

With things like this I'd definitely pay $5 for the hip file and figure it out on my own.

• 3 months later...