Update!! - Help Needed! Leg cycle while biking?

jayopa86

Hi everyone,

I was trying to make a bike cycle but I couldn't figure out how to rig the legs or make the animation on the right way. I tried parenting, parent constraint but I couldn't make it work so I need a little bit help to complete my scene. I tried for rigging but I'm not familiar with it so I failed on that too :) Actually I know I could do it with the expressions but it would be the hardest way so I was wondering if there is a easier way to do this cycle?

So this is my reference

http://youtu.be/CIGa52qPVvA?t=4m32s

If some can help me I would appreciate !

Thanks

UPDATE!!!

So I've demonstrate what I need in maya. I made a little playblast I've just simply rigged it with 4 joints and skin with the geo but I couldn't figure out how to do it in Houdini... Houdini Animators help meee :)))

Here is the playblast from Maya

http://youtu.be/41t4Tn_RRho?hd=1

movement_problem.hipnc

Edited by jayopa86

I've already tried that but it didn't work. I think I'm missing some steps :s Also if I need to use bone chain I lose all my cookies and stuff between the upper leg, lower leg and the connecting tube because rigging can do only on obj level? but if there is a way to do it inside the object thats the point that I'm missing

Edited by jayopa86

So I've demonstrate what I need in maya. I made a little playblast I've just simply rigged it with 4 joints and skin with the geo but I couldn't figure out how to do it in Houdini... Houdini Animators help meee :)))

I took a quick look at your .hip file and yeah, that's not gonna work. :) My Maya knowledge is poor but here goes:

- If you think of a Maya "shape node", then that's like the display SOP of a Houdini OBJ

- A Houdini OBJ is similar to a Maya "transform node".

- A Maya "joint" is like a Houdini Bone OBJ except that when you parent the bones together, then are offset along the length of the bone

- A Maya "group node" is a like Houdini Null OBJ

So your set up needs to be broken out into multiple objects. I think in Maya, a "shape node" is always parented under a "transform node"? So if you think of it in terms of your Maya scene, each "shape node"/"transform node" pair should be a separate Houdini OBJ.

The problem with answering your question is that there's no single answer to give. Someone would need to write an entire tutorial to show you the basic concepts that you're missing. Try going through the explanations in the help regarding character.

I took a quick look at your .hip file and yeah, that's not gonna work. :) My Maya knowledge is poor but here goes:

- If you think of a Maya "shape node", then that's like the display SOP of a Houdini OBJ

- A Houdini OBJ is similar to a Maya "transform node".

- A Maya "joint" is like a Houdini Bone OBJ except that when you parent the bones together, then are offset along the length of the bone

- A Maya "group node" is a like Houdini Null OBJ

So your set up needs to be broken out into multiple objects. I think in Maya, a "shape node" is always parented under a "transform node"? So if you think of it in terms of your Maya scene, each "shape node"/"transform node" pair should be a separate Houdini OBJ.

The problem with answering your question is that there's no single answer to give. Someone would need to write an entire tutorial to show you the basic concepts that you're missing. Try going through the explanations in the help regarding character.

Thank you I think I solved it a little bit but still it seems not good trying to improve my solution and also now I made the video public sorry for private video :)

actually if someone could demonstrate it either with my file or with rough models like I did in Maya that would be great so I can digg the file and understand whats going on :)