Shatter tool

vi_rus

I;m surprised that it is so fast, I was using it for smaler breaks and it felt slower (I probably I used unnecesairly dense SDFs :) )

so I thought I will need to wait for OpenVDB volumetric fracturing, but you proved me wrong, thanks for that

CVEX defined cuts are great idea as well, lot's of artistic control, good job

Impressive! Congratulations!

The only problem/downside I see is that it creates complex/non-convex shapes as pieces, so it will be hard to use in conjunction with the new bullet solver. RBD has no problem with that, but Bullet relies heavily on convex hull approximated collision geometry. For bullet, non-convex geo is very difficult to handle and produces neraly everytime nasty problems during simulation (popping/exploding simulations due to interpenetrating geometry when the model is fractured, but still in tact in the beginning).

You're right. I afraid this problem also when was creating this tool. But as you can see from my video(3:40;8:13) it's possible to solve with bullet. I just created glue object from the shelf and that's all. I did test with 1500 pieces and it was really fast and stable.

OpenVDB is nice, and fast (faster than houdini volumes). Not sure about memory though. They haven't put in the hermite grid stuff yet (they have in the sdk afaik, just no sops yet), which will help with fracturing and normals. Right now when you recreate the mesh, all of the fragments end up with very visible seams at the edges, just like converting regular Houdini volumes back to meshes. I don't think it'll be as fast as what you have there though. I'm going to update my openvdb and play around later.

Edited by Solitude

OpenVDB is nice, and fast (faster than houdini volumes). Not sure about memory though. They haven't put in the hermite grid stuff yet (they have in the sdk afaik, just no sops yet), which will help with fracturing and normals. Right now when you recreate the mesh, all of the fragments end up with very visible seams at the edges, just like converting regular Houdini volumes back to meshes. I don't think it'll be as fast as what you have there though. I'm going to update my openvdb and play around later.

Thank you for indicating at this problem. I saw this and already fixed. Soon I'll upload video with new features.

I wasn't even mentioning it for yours, but the normals are a good thing to look out for. :) I was mentioning it more for when doing it with open vdb and volumes. :) The volume break method you are using creates a cleaner edge than going from sdf to mesh, which creates bad edges. That's the main issue with doing volume based fragmenting right now. When they add in the hermite grid support, it should make seamless mesh recreations as I understand it. https://vimeo.com/47126128 shows the hermite grid method. Here's the paper -- http://ken.museth.or...-etal_SIG12.pdf

Edit: fixed vimeo link.

Edited by Solitude