Chamfering edges?

DaJuice

You can get pretty close by selecting edges and using Starburst. This'll give you parallel edges that you can follow up with an Edit or something to move the old edge to create the chamfer.

Try it out. It's not as automatic as a dedicated chamfer function but it solved the hard part for you.

Hey DaJuice,

Is this "Chamfer" function the same as bevel? If it is, well yes this is very much missed and very useful. Starburst will add a lot of extra edges which you will then have to delete. I am guessing it would be easier to add an extra edge with the PolysplitSOP.

I am doing my first character head in Houdini with the poly tools and will post the result when done, should be in a few days as it is now the weekend and will not be back to work for two days.

All my previous modeling was more effects/object based which Houdini is awesome for, so it is a huge change to be doing normal character poly modeling.

Betty

Hi betty, not sure if bevel is the same as chamfer, all the terminology is a little different from app to app :blink:

You're right about Starburst, it's kind of a mess, not sure exactly what it's good for. :lol:

But the poly tools are still very new, I'm sure sesi will add new functionality and missing features in time. I'm actually very happy with the poly tools, Polysplit works as opposed to the cut tool in max.

Good luck with your model, I already started a head model of my own, although it's not human, more like an evil goat thingy.

Hi DaJuice,

If bevel is what you are trying to do, you can simply use Divide SOP for quickies. If your polygonal model is not faceted, simply pop in Divide SOP, turn off "Convex Polygons", and turn on "Smooth POlygons" and start playing with the Weight field.

If you'd rather have a much more precise control, PolySplit will work as well.

• Like 1

Hi DaJuice,

Good luck with your model, I already started a head model of my own, although it's not human, more like an evil goat thingy.

I would love to see what you're doing with your model.. why not post up your development and share the joy! :)

Cheers,

Jason

• 19 years later...

Replying cause even if it's old 2002 thread, Google still displaying this find for the question "chamfer"
PolyBevel in "Edges" of course, with Fillet / Shape at Chamfer is working as a charm.

Edited by daprato