Python Survey

carinaet

What kind of script or tool based on Python do you use or used in Houdini?

Hello, I started learning CG a few months back and from the interviews I have read, it seems scripting skill is a big plus. So, I picked up on python. Now, my problem is I couldn't think of a scenario when I need a tool or script in Houdini. So, I would like to ask, especially those who have experience in production, if they could describe a script or tool that they find useful.

In Houdini, I mostly touched on SOP and particles. For python, I'm reading online materials such as Dive into Python. I have zero work experience and know zero people who work in the industry.

Anything would help. Thanks for the time.

I think there are many uses of python inside Houdini. You can write new OBJs, SOPs, COPs, DOPs. Since you know SOPs, you can create new geometry or modify existing ones.

For expressions you can rely on hscript but I found some cases that could only be solved via python, due to HOM allowing access to parts not available in hscript.

Python can be handy in many places, just some examples:

PythonSOP: For some kind of operations vex is just not good. For example, when dealing with "edges" and stuff like that Python can be very handy to get some initial data to work with in vex.

Python expressions: Some kind of expressions are much easier in python, at least if You are familiar with python. For example string parsing, control of a switchSOP, and so on

Python tools: Creating databases, job-structures, naming-conventions, setup scenes, stuff like that

Enhanced assets: Pimp You tools with Python scripts, so they do stuff for you by just pressing buttons.

Python can be Your better left hand while You work. Everything that You will have to do often the same way, or with a certain logic, python will be the way to go. It has a big library of modules for all kind of jobs.

Besides of PythonSOP, Python is mostly a pipeline tool in Houdini. Artist don't have to use it most of the time, unless you are really after something very specific or would like to use fancy modules.

For many people it's also a prototyping tool before inlinecpp or HDK jump.

Actually speaking of python employed in a non-entirely-houdini manner, it's a really useful pipeline tool as well.

I've done multiple times in the past python scripts which would hook up maya with houdini and viceversa to give maya artists the power of houdini without actually ever opening houdini itself...and it's really easy too, since it has a lot of powerful os-level commands :)

EDIT: Shame on me for not reading all the replies, should've quoted SYmek as well :)

Edited by Akabane

Thanks for the insights.

With the suggestions taken, since I have no clue on its use to SOPs or how python would improve it, I think I'd start looking at how to import/export in Houdini and how to use it on other software. I guess the first step is to look at the Detail view. Then make sense of .ma file or .mas file and modify it using system modules. Is that a good approach?

I appreciate all your help.