How to add more detail to Billowy Smoke

Nygma

Hi to everyone,

due to the great help of several members in this forum I got a great time playing around with effects and stuff in Houdini.

So I got once again stuck with this smoke/dust effect where I used a particle system to create these spikes of dust/debris. This works kinda good and looks "fine" as well, but what really bugs me is the lack of detail in the smoke - it looks like the smoke is watched through very blurry glasses. I am using a Billowy Smoke shader, but have tried Pyro as well.

It seems like there is missing some turbulence or advection detail. Raising resolution doesn't produce any useful results at some point. I have added noise and maybe I am missing something directly in the shader.

It would be great to get some hints or ideas. :) Attached is an image of the actual rendering.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Byeee...

particlesmokeblurry.jpg

Guys, guys, guys.... didn't want to start a competition. ;)

I have attached the same frame as seen in the image there. I hope this works (never tried before and it seems damn small). And hopefully afterwards someone can give some advice as well. :D

Thank you.

EDIT:

My fault, chose the wrong node.... will upload the correct file in a moment.

Edited by Nygma

ah! So on time. I`m writing bachelor about fire and smoke sim in Houdini, and I faced the same problem - sims looks blurred.

I found that to get fine details it`s necessary to use displacement. And to get it as a field you have to do some things...So I stuck here for now, because I don`t know how to get field for the displacement.

Edited by mms

Hi to everyone,

I have played around a bit with the Uprez-node which I thought was more or less obsolete in H12 (at least one reads it very often :S) and some rendering parameters like "Volume Step Size" and some more things and this is what was the result. Way better than before, but still not perfect.

At least it seems the right way - however I am very interested in seeing what someone else can come up with, which will be better in any way I guess. :(

@mms - hmmm never played around with Displacement. I also never had this problem before as fire and explosions (pyro in general) looks quite good after some tweaking with Division Size, Ramps (Density and Emission) and playing around with the shader. This "effect" here is the first to suffer from that problem. :(

particlesmokeprogress1.jpg

• Like 1

In my last fire job I got a lot of details out of the displacement component of Pyro shader. You need to tweak it, and more importantly, you need to enable Rest and Dual Rest fields with you sim so the displacement noise will stick to your fluid.

Hey,

thanks for all the answers, though still waiting for the pics. :D Nah seriously thank you very much. However I don't have a GasToParticleField-node as I used the shelf (created container then populate by particle) to create the sim. And this one doesn't seem to use the node.

So this means I have to build it by myself I guess and replace the default source-node?

• 1 month later...