Simple question for modelling

cruzo

Hi guys,

i have a simple question. I want to build a house which i can destroy. So i need more than a shell. I need a wall with holes for the windows and all the stuff.

My problem is, than i found no really nice tutorial about this theme. The most tutorials are about building procedural. How i start?

Just with a grid and extrude or ist there an easier way?

I hope you understand my problem.

Cheers

If you want to simply model it, instead of doing it procedurally, I would suggest using something like Maya, 3d-Max or Blender and import the result into Houdini,

It can be done in Houdini, but its not the most efficient way to go about it.

...but you could also opt for a half procedural way :)

For example, without having to automatically find out where to place windows, or creating the windows procedurally with correct spacing etc..., you could create the walls, then place points manually where you'd want the main features of the house to be, rename the points (like 'pt_window_01') and then just instance the models you made by hand (in houdini even, you have to be more patient than doing it in maya/max/xsi though but you have more flexibility) on top of those points, and just use procedures to put holes in the walls where you put the windows in etc...

Have a look at this tutorial:

It's not the most optimal way to do it but it was ok. It has windows but not much more than that. Although the next lesson will continue from where he left off.

For example he uses the foreach sop in the video, but you can actually do it without the foreach sop, which actually improves performance greatly when tweaking building parameters :)

here is a different perspective on proc. modeling for buildings.

freek hoekstra

siggraph 2012

quite alot of the techniques are similar to kim goossens approach to proc. modeling.

an excellent demonstration of kim's methodes are in his 3 vol. roads set at cmiVFX.

here is the 1st one.

http://cmivfx.com/store/213-Houdini+Procedural+Road+Creation