Fire autorig arm - object can be hooked -

mo22

Hi all,

(edit on the title: object cannot be hooked)

I have a question regarding the autorig in Houdini, I am quite new for Houdini so I encountered some problems here. I want to have a fire shaped from a hand. In my mind, this is the steps that I want to do :

1. Put the autorig on the hand model (because I want the fingers to be moving and such)

2. Put the pyro flame on the rigged hand

However, I got stuck on the first step. I tried to put the autorig on the hand model but Houdini says that the object cannot be hooked up or so. I also do not really get this 'hook' meaning. I tried to look at some tutorials but all of them look so easy to put the autorig on so I have no idea what went wrong here. At first I though because it is high poly but when I reduced it, it is still the same.

Is it that the model is not good for the autorig, or is there something else going on? I use the Houdini 12.5 and I attached my hand model so maybe someone can try and help me out.

Also another question, can I actually put the pyro effect on a rigged model? if so, how? because I tried with the toon model that is in Houdini and Houdini gave me an error when I put the toon character with the flame effect. So want to make sure before I go further with this concept.

Thank you! hope someone can help me

hand.hipnc

Edited by mo22

Hi ,

In your Hip file there is the file node:

it is looking for the hand.dxf

or lock the node.

maybe you could put it up so the scene will not cause Unable to read.

So we can see what is happening.

Cheers

Mangi

Edited by mangi

Hi.

I looked into your Hip file .

First of all your scale is making it imposible to sim.

Here is a method that you can see that I scaled the hand inside the Geometry Node with a transform, Uniform scale.

Also , for the animation rig there is a tutorial of cmivfx

Is this what you are trying to achieve ?

AR.mov

See if this is your issue,and then carry on from here.

mangi

hand_scale_fast.hipnc

AR.mov

Edited by mangi

Hi Mangi,

I opened the vimeo video but I do not really get the relation for the rigging.. :blink: but I found this video https://vimeo.com/14737813 which helps me a bit with the rigging so now I start on it already. However, after I have finished placing the rig, I do not know what I have to do now.. in the video says to click on the "create or modify rig" or so, but for the hands autorig there is only a "set rig" button. I tried to put the rig path to my hand mesh so : /obj/hand, but it gave me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "opdef:/Object/auto_rig_biped_hand_5f_3s?PythonModule", line 33, in setRig

File "opdef:/Object/auto_rig_biped_hand_5f_3s?PythonModule", line 8, in worldTrans

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'worldTransform'

I don't know what goes wrong here. Here I attached the working file.

and, yes that's what I am aiming for, an on fire rigged animation, so it does work? why did I get an error then when I tried to put fire on the toon character :huh:

Thanks!

hand_rig.hipnc

Hi

"why did I get an error then when I tried to put fire on the toon character :huh:"

First of all the relation for the rigging of the video is for understanding the workflow when you want to make an FX.

Here you kind find a cool scene:

http://www.sidefx.co...2159&Itemid=132

As you can see , you bake the animation of the chatacter and then proceed on the next phase.

In your case, you want to put fire on the character.

The Toon Charcter is blocked and you need to dive into the skin and put it there, maybe this was your issue ?

On your hand rig , I take it that you are making a rig and want to have it deform etc...

I am looking into this , using the shelf tools, I see where you are getting stalled.

Will Check back later:

Mangi

snowwalk.mov

Edited by mangi

Hi Mangi,

Thank you for your help! I checked it but when I click the create/modify rig but it gave me an error say that "there is a word "left" missing from the file name from the /obj/houdini_auto_rig/auto_rig_biped_hand_5f_3sl

and when I just add the word 'left' at the end of auto_rig_biped_hand_5f_3sl, it gave me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "opdef:/Object/Houdini_auto_rig?PythonModule", line 12, in setRig

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/12.5.316.22/Resources/houdini/python2.6libs/autorig/utils.py", line 31, in new_func

return function(*args, **kwargs)

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/12.5.316.22/Resources/houdini/python2.6libs/autorig/utils.py", line 1388, in createAnimationRig

writeProxyToEmbedded(auto_rig, animation_rig)

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/12.5.316.22/Resources/houdini/python2.6libs/autorig/utils.py", line 1099, in writeProxyToEmbedded

bgeofile = hou.readFile(temp_path)

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/12.5.316.22/Resources/houdini/python2.6libs/hou.py", line 37121, in readFile

return _hou.readFile(*args)

OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.

Invalid file name

btw, my apology, if some parts I don't really get, I am new to Houdini and haven't done that much of rigging either so that's why was hoping the shelf tool can make the rigging part easier

post-8599-0-78278500-1366026511_thumb.pn

Edited by mo22

Hi

Look in your messages

I gave you my skype so I can run through this drill with you if you like.

It´s really hard to see what is going on , just by these messages okay

cheers

mangi

Edited by mangi

Hi.

Well my suspicion was right.

I installed version 10.0.1131

I did the drill and the shelf tools work just fine.

I will report this to sidefx okay.

I did some test, you can actually do the hand setup in houdini 10 and it comes over to version 12.5 okay

The only thing I did was change the orientation and the size of the hand you have. I did not place the autorig perfectly like you did .

I just wanted to see if this worked okay. here is the hand and the autorig okay. it´s not tweaked, it is only for test and to see what was going on okay.

Mangi

If you want just install a version 10.0, do the rig and then bring in over to version 12.5 until we see what sidefx says on the bug repòrt that I will send okay. I also suggest that you use the size of the bgeo of this hand I am sending

mangi

10_G0_02_okay.hipnc

hand_resize.rar

post-2848-0-75573600-1366068792_thumb.jp

Update:

Thank you for your bug report regarding 'Auto rig with parts gives error and will not preform full function' in Houdini 12.5.372.

just submited your issue okay

Will keep you updated

mangi