micropolygon rendering

Hi,

Currently i'm working on a very mb heavy scene therefore i decided to use micropolygon rendering. I am very pleased with the results and the performance. Quite optimized shaders found on this forum helped a lot to get into it.

Could someone please give some advices on lightning and shadows with MP. How about shadowap flickering? Also on flat surfaces. Some tips about GI and reflections would be great too. I know thats a huge topic. I tried to get some info from the advanced renderman book but i ve no reyes production experience.

I think Jeff gave some very detailed info about PBR. Maybe we can get something similar for MP

I appreciate your help

cheers

Lucas

Edited by hatrick

If you're getting shadow map flickering try a higher resolution and/or more samples for the maps. If things are moving quickly in the scene the shadow maps might need motion blur enabled. Sometimes blurring can help but too much and the lighting will look funky. Look through your light if you haven't yet and make sure the projection of the light is optimized for the scene, the scene should fill the majority of the map.

Are there any typical settings for the samples ore the resolution. many people talk about 7 to 10 pixelsamples with PBR i.e.. I'm also interested in some more specific lightning technics. Is it common to just use point ore spotlights?Should i avoid arealghts with raytraced shadows? How about building a dome with many pointlights for some kind of environment/global lightning effect. What other funky tricks to know about:)?

Thank you !

Lucas

Pixel samples for physically based rendering and shadow maps are two different conversations. One affects shadow edge quality regardless of renderer and the other affects the image noise of everything in the renderer. Same underlying concept though, they affect the image quality. These are some good reads if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/render/understanding

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/render/pbr

I wouldn't avoid area lights completely but they are more computationally expensive than point lights and spotlights so you don't want to use area lights when they are not necessary. Same goes for ray traced shadows versus shadow maps in some cases. Shadow maps are quicker for extremely complex shapes and objects like hair and volumes but ray traced shadows might be quicker for other stuff like a speed limit sign. It all depends on the specifics of the scene as to what will look the best and be the most efficient.

If you can share some specifics about the scene or share the scene file would help so specific feedback can be given.