Hey,

I am teaching an Intro To Houdini workshop for CGSociety which begins in a few weeks. There is a lot of material covered and we do get into the technical low level concepts, math, etc as it is extremely important to learn and understand the fundamentals of 3d. When it comes to making great FX, there are not any push-button solutions. This course helps to lay that groundwork to understand what is going on under the 'hood'.

I have received a lot of positive feedback from both inexperienced as well as experienced students from previous workshops. Here is a testimonial I received from a previous student.

"I took your Houdini back in fall 2012... i just wanted to say thank you man.

I perused each one of your classes and even though it was a bit hard at first, i have to say that your course is THE best intro to houdini on the market. I am taking "advanced" courses and everything makes sense to me because i understand how it works and all thanks to you and your training. I sincerely hope you will produce more training material! Yours is the only CG Society course that was really worth the investment. Regards and much respect."

http://workshops.cgs...info.php?id=393

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Spencer

Edited by SpencerL

• 2 weeks later...

week 5 in your outline looks particularly interesting to me.

xxxxxxxxxx

Week 5: Sims are for Sucka’s! - Procedural Methods to create FX without simulation

1. Discuss goals when creating an effect

2. Geometry Attribute Types

3. Cover Math/Trigonometry topics to build robust effect

This week we will explore alternative methods for developing an effect without the use of simulations which can often allow for more flexibility, control, and increased efficiencies. We will get into using various attribute types as well a few trigonomic functions to produce a production level effect.

Obviously, there are plenty of cases where there is no way around simulating, but I think the more understanding of the fundamentals of 3d and the math which drives it, the more you can push fx without using brute force simulations. The example we cover in that lesson is doing a crack that grows and branches fracturing geometry. Its pretty cool!

Ive updated a few of the lessons, such as the weeks we cover FLIP and Rendering as there have been changes and improvements to the work flow from 12.0. We cover a lot of the fundamentals and use brute force math (via vopsops) so its not as important that the latest build is being used as the workflow and techniques are unchanged. Honestly, you could probably roll back to Houdini 8 and a lot of the information I teach still would hold up.

• Like 1