Cloth target geo in negative frame doesn't export correctly to dop

Doum

I hope someone can help me with this one,

I have a simple scn with a grid with animation key starting in the negative value. This grid is simulated with the cloth solver. The targetstiffness attribute is painted on a part of that grid. When I try to simulate this, the target geo seem to start at 0 instead of the negative frame.

Is there a way to export correctly to DOP target geo with negative frame?

I linked a sample scn to make it clearer, sorry for the bad explanation...

TargetGeoNegFrame.hipnc

it works for me from start (-24) in H12.5.376

and for your sim it may better to use targetdamping as well, to match velocity with the target and avoid springiness on points with high targetstiffness

I use the same version and here what I have at frame -21. The template of my target is displayed in in green and in red it's the target with a time shift of 24. Look like it's trying to get the position of my target a frame 3???

Edited by Doum

I guess you are right, I just saw it moving from -24, but didn't notice it is actually not completely following target animation

while target behaviour is blackboxed in cloth solver and this may be a bug

you can still uncheck Import Target Geometry and set targetP and targetv attributes by yourself in sop solver or geometry vop

it seems to pick those attributes even in negative frames

TargetGeoNegFrame_mod.hipnc

Edited by anim

Ah yes, I did run into this as well, nice to see the bug submitted.

My quickie workaround was to have a timeshift sop on the imported target geometry, countering the timeoffset of the animation.

you would need to either offset target geo that one frame

or better swap cloth solver and SOP solver so that SOP solver cooks first and therefore clothsolver has updated targerP and targetv for current frame instead of updating it afterwards, which probably creates that offset

Edited by anim

So the pintoanimation refer to the target for is position ?

yes

EDIT: one thing to note though is that Cloth Solver is now evolving and things are changing faster than you may expect so don't be surprised if something works differently than previously

for example you may find references in help describing pintotarget attribute which can be used for that purpose (it's not working in 12.5.376 but may in newer or future?) so maybe even pintoanimation may stop working once pintotarget will be established or maybe it's just a typo in help, but anyway it's all about trying to keep up with the changes

Edited by anim

• 7 months later...

it's supposed to be solver since 13.0.292. I can't find the quote in the journal by the way. But this one have been release at the same time for 12.5.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_journal&Itemid=213&page=index&journal=default&view=FULL&logfile=ALL&icon=ALL&version=ALL&buildstart=&buildend=&perpage=20&search=+target+geometries&find=Find

Didn't try yet if it really solved... I submit the bug in july 2013 I think...

Good luck