Multi input HDA

Elias

I don't quite understand what you mean. But yes you can have more than one input on a digital asset.

edit: Ah right, I get it. If you give your asset 10 inputs, there is an input for each one on the node. However there is no space for more inputs after that, so if you instead give it 11 inputs they will then merge together to a multi-input.

Edited by Skybar

What I want is to be able to have two inputs on my HDA. Both accepting multiple connections. A switch node have one port but accepts an arbitrary number of connections, so does the merge node. If I collapse a switch into an HDA the multi inputs capabilities are lost, I wonder if I can keep the functionality.

What I want is to be able to have two inputs on my HDA. Both accepting multiple connections. A switch node have one port but accepts an arbitrary number of connections, so does the merge node. If I collapse a switch into an HDA the multi inputs capabilities are lost, I wonder if I can keep the functionality.

Yeah I think I understood you, read above. Although doing what I described still only lets you connect 11 if you only give it 11 inputs, so you could give it 100 inputs or something. I don't think you can give it an infinite number of inputs, if you'd ever need that many anyway.

Not sure if this is what you're after, but you can get the same unlimited style input as the merge & switch SOPs in Python via hou.HDADefinition ... I'd assume the same behaviour would exist from the Type Properties dialog (can't test it atm myself)?

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/hom/hou/HDADefinition#setMaxNumInputs

If you put a huge number in the Maximum Inputs of the HDA is suddenly changes the icon to a Multi-input. I'm not sure it's "unlimited" in practice, but I guess it is the closest thing.

I'm also not sure how it affects what goes inside. You might still have to do some scripting to be able to process the merged geo.

Cheers

• 10 years later...