Pyro 2 scatter export

Hello,

I'm exporting my fire and smoke pass separately, this is working ok with the aov's (even though they are very grainy, guess I need to bump the settings).

I'm also trying to export a scattering pass (you have that option in the export settings of the pyro shader, the variable name is scatter_color). My question is how can I export that pass since the scattering process has been removed from the pyro shader in H12.5 ?

I'm achieving scattering and volume lighting with the "new" volume light (not sure it's the right way to do it) but I don't really see if there is a way to export that single scattering pass.

Any clue ?

Many thanks,

Steve

• 7 months later...

When using lights, such as the Volume Light, you can just set up an AOV for that light in the render. You have all these Direct/Indirect/Combined Lighting, so perhaps choose the "Combined Lighting (per-light)" and just select your Volume Light for the light mask. Now you have a pass for light hitting the ground, for example.

Dam - there must be a way to set that up, calling upon some attribute in a shader. Yes though it seems the pyroshade vop no longer exports that variable.

The old scattering technique did produce lovely results; but my god was it slow!!

I noticed in volume light it says:

"The data stored in the point cloud includes the emission (Ce) as well as point area/volume information and position (P)."

Perhaps this can be used to derive a matte or vex variable........? :) Or what if you find difference between diffuse and Ce (Emmision) in Nuke - does this perhaps give you scatter data??

Keep us posted im interested to know more.