Character Setup

alexnet

Hi everyone!

I made a monster rig in Houdini and would love to hear from animators about this rig. Is it convenient to use it? What supervisors should be added and which are best removed altogether? In general criticism is welcome.

Link to the video: https://vimeo.com/76755525

Thanks!

giant_character.otl

• Like 2

Wow, I see this is your first post here, so welcome. It's always nice to see threads like this. Nice rig and thanks for the otl. Personally,I love character rigging and from the first time I switched from Maya to Houdini, I knew that in the right hands, it could become the best tool for this purpose. Rigging is all about extreme control where Houdini really excels.

Edited by Sifis

Wow, I see this is your first post here, so welcome. It's always nice to see threads like this. Nice rig and thanks for the otl. Personally,I love character rigging and from the first time I switched from Maya to Houdini, I knew that in the right hands, it could become the best tool for this purpose. Rigging is all about extreme control where Houdini really excels.

Thanks for watching! I will try to develop this direction. I chose for myself Houdini as a tool for rigging because it was slightly more comfortable than in Maya. I think that Houdini himself could acquire not only the glory of the software solely for the production of special effects, but also easy to solve such problems.

I wonder whether now rigging in Houdini in large studios and used it? Should I switch to full rigging in Houdini? I know very few people who like to animate in Houdini.

Edited by alexnet

Hey AlexNet,

thx for your very good work and sharing the OTL. I am also fascinated by Animation and Rigging and Houdini of course. Unfort. I have no idea where to start to build up such a charcter rig....Can somebody give me an explanation (extended version) or a link for a very good Tutorial....how did you made this ?? Wasnt it your first Rigging in Houdini ?? So how did you do that ??

regards

Wurmdrin

Thank you, angelia! :) There is still work to do. ^_^

wurmdrin1111, I love rigging in Houdini and yet not to understand why it is not used on large projects, and why so little time to improve it spends SideFX. Rigging general theme is not easy, but Houdini sometimes not obvious. I made this rig using the knowledge and experience gained in Maya, but quite a bit. Basically it was a competition between me and my brains :) Approaches rigging in Maya and Houdini are quite different, so the standard things that worked in the Maya Houdini had to repeat the behavior of some operations using math expressions and simple logic. This rigging with the standard requirements before animators riggers, I is not touched upon the facial animation, muscle strain, dynamic simulation, and much more, so that more experiments will be enough. With regard to good tutorials on rigging in Houdini, I think the best fit course of lessons 3DBuzz, but unfortunately in our country they do not deliver, but in a different way as they did not seem to buy so I had to learn most from our mistakes. See lessons from other authors on the Maya, XSI they will greatly help you and advise in what direction to take to achieve the desired result. Hopefully, something made ​​clear :)

Edited by alexnet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! This is my new rigging. This time I chose a car for their test. I tried to combine the two types of behavior in a car, in which one type has the approximate form of a reality, and the other is a caricature. At the moment, this rigging is in the form in which you see now, maybe in the future I will modify it yet. If anyone is interested, I share otl library. As usual criticism, suggestions are welcome!

Link to the video: https://vimeo.com/78167153

Thanks for watching!

cobra_character.zip

• Like 1

.. I think the best fit course of lessons 3DBuzz, but unfortunately in our country they do not deliver, ..

saddly the same for my country too .

hopefully sidefx people will do something about this . there is a lot of power and transparency in Houdini in this context .

also not everyone has consumed tutorials and experiences on other 3D-apps , ..

.. but till that day alexnet , files' like yours are very much appreciated by me at least .

!thanks

• Like 1