any rigs?

mark

does anyone have a rig they can post, i believe there used to be a sample shipped with houdini (v5.5 days?). It doesnt have to be very complex, basic finger control would be nice. the model isn't exactly golem :)

I should learn how to do it but that will take a lot of time, and i already know rigging isnt my strong point, so i cant help but think it would be wasted time, considering how deep the topic can be, indeed its a full-time job for some.

RFE for inclusion of a biped and quadraped OP in 6.5.x? :)

Rigging isn't that difficult, and there are couple of decent tutorials out for Houdini already. 3DBuzz has a step by step video on setting up legs and pelvis and Side FX has one on setting up arms. There's also a couple of rigs, an arm, and a simple full body that come with Houdini in the docs. The character tools are changing pretty rapidly and dramaticly though, so a rig using newer features would be helpful I'm sure, but the tutorials are still for the most part applicable. You can even go and use other tutorials, or buy something like the Alias rigging DVDs and apply them to Houdini.

Keep in mind you only have to build a quadruped and a biped once, then you can make OTL's out of them or their parts and reuse them, modifying them at will. You don't have to rely on SideFX to make these tools for you.

There are rigs and there are rigs. I've seen some complex rigs which are beautiful, and some which make me shiver. However, almost everyone agrees that the theory of rigging is not hard, it just takes practise and more practise. This makes it really important to had the software allow fast interactive editing of rigs. Repositioning bones, changing lengths, splitting bones, switching solvers, applying constraints all need to be easy to perform (and that makes it fun), otherwise you'll build a big lug of a rig because you're too afraid to mess with it.

It would be fun to formulate a character library by everyone; examples of various popular fragments of rigs and such. Rolling foot, Isner spine, and all of that. Do you think that'd be useful? Would be great to be able to OTLize these and eventually be able to build a total rig out of fragments.

I have a leg Rig I am proud of.

There is no love in the skinning. Just go into pose mode and have fun

For this rig collaboration I believe the measure of Decameters is a good one to go with, that is 1 unit = 10 cm = 100mm = 1m / 10

See metric is just superior : P

A 6 foot high person is 18.3 units tall.

What do you think of my leg rig?

For my publicly released rig I will get around to modeling up a decent generic character. Hopefully it will get some of the folk at the http://10secondclub.net/ using Houdini and my rig : blink:

legs_only1.zip

very very cool meshsmooth.

edward i found the monkey, it would also be very good if a bit more complete, i cant rotate the hands for example.

thanks for the encouragement mcronin but even what meshsmooth has done would take me months to do. id like to, but the reality is there is just not enough time to devote to something i know is not my thing. likewise i dont want to write an HDRI plugin to be able to use HDRI. :) i expect to learn the basics e.g. to the level of the buzz video - but meshsmooth's rig is in another league.

i wonder if whoever at SESI did the monkey rig could spend an extra few days on it and just ship it with houdini? problem solved - the time it would take the developers compared to hundreds of users trying to do it should make it worthwhile. or just throw meshsmooth a free licence in return for his ;):D Max has biped, xsi has pre-built rigs, maya has good free rigs available. i think not having a rig template adds unneccesary complexity to using houdini.

thanks for reading and the replies :)

Well, I haven't actually looked at the monkey rig that's shipping with Houdini, but I'm probably the guy who built it. I built several rigs for that thing. Not sure why the hands don't rotate, they should. I'll take a look at it later tonight and see what's wrong with it. I think I might have removed the hand controls because they wanted something really simple and fast.

lol. please dont stress about it i dont have any pressing need for it, but it would be nice at some stage!

did you model the monkey too? ive learnt a lot about modelling characters by studying that.

cheers =)

Let me repeat. There is a *free* rig that comes with Houdini Apprentice 6.1(?) and above. Open up the help browser and go User Guide Contents > Overview > Interacting with digital assets > Load Start File.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...