how to rotate particles in houdini 13 (dops)

zhyravetsky

• 2 months later...

I’m learning to use vex in the Pop Torque based on expressions I use in the Rotate POP.

-In the angle parameter, I put the following expression: if (  $NUMHIT == 0,    fit01(rand($ID),$T * 40, $T * 720),     fit01(rand($ID), $T * 1000,$T * -120))

-In the axis parameters of Rotate POP, I would put $VX and $VZ of the particles in each respective value.

I’d like to know if this is the proper vex form for the above. I've been having trouble finding the vex variable for particle velocity so I guessed:

amount = amount;

if (i@hitnum == 0);{                                                                                             

amount = fit01(rand(@id),@Time * 40, @Time * 720);

}else{

amount = fit01(rand(@id),@Time * 1000, @Time * -120);   

}

axisx = v@vel.x;

axisz = v@vel.z;

Edited by venator11387
  • Like 2

Here is the code now and I keep getting an error, which is attached below. Bit of a noob at what's going on.

amount = amount;
if (@hitnum == 0) {
    amount = fit01(rand(i@id),@Time * 40, @Time * 720);
}
if (@hitnum == 0) {
    amount = fit01(rand(i@id),@Time * 1000, @Time * -120);    
}
@axisx = v@v.x;
@axisz = v@v.z;

post-9028-0-82040800-1390455008_thumb.jp

Thank you, one more simple thing. I'm trying to stop the amount based on velocity, but it doesn't work because of this syntax prompt for the bolded. I've tried various ways based on the "Using VEX expressions" guide with no luck.

Implicit cast from vector to float. Use explicit cast instead. 

if (@v <= .3){
    amount = 0;  
}
Edited by venator11387

I'm not sure you understand what POP Torque  does

it's not setting rotation of the particles, but spinning force

so setting amount on POP Torque to 0 will not set particles rotation to 0 not even make it to stop, it will simply not introduce any more spinning force on that particle

that means that the particle will still remain spinning at constant speed unless there is something else affecting it (like POP Drag Spin or any custom nodes)

so if you want the particle to stop spinning when the speed is below threshold just

remove that if condition from POP Torque

and add POP Wrangle node with following:

if (length(@v) <= .1){
    v@w = 0;    
}

w is angular/spinning velocity so if you set it to 0, no more spinning will occur and particle will stay at it's current rotation

if you want however reset it's rotation enter the following instead:

if (length(@v) <= .1 || @age<=@TimeInc) {
    p@orient = {0,0,0,1};    
}

since POPs are about simulation, it makes sense to affect rotation by introducing rotational force (torque

but for explicitly setting rotation I would use POP VOP or POP Wrangle to manipulate orient attribute directly (as showed above), you can even build "POP Rotate" or "POP Orient" very easily with them so that it does exactly what you need 

you can have a look at POP Lookat, it modifies orient and torque inside, it may give you some inspiration

• 4 months later...

It was a little funny there is a pop drag spin, but not a pop spin .. so I made one. It puts spin on particles, just use a birth group to put spin on the first born frame. There are features for randomization :ph34r:. It can be followed by a pop drag spin.

popspin_v01.otl

Edited by andrewlowell
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

It was a little funny there is a pop drag spin, but not a pop spin .. so I made one. It puts spin on particles, just use a birth group to put spin on the first born frame. There are features for randomization :ph34r:. It can be followed by a pop drag spin.

Strange with that pop drag spin without the spin.  Thanks Andrew :D