Shrek2

Jason

It was hilarious, soo much funny stuff in that movie, they have some really great characters. And of course it looked incredible, best looking CG feature yet I think. Maybe Final Fantasy looked more impressive, idunno, haven't seen it in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent writing - I about died when they came into Far Far Away - I just moved to LA myself in the last few weeks, so it was just that much funnier.

I think it's easily the best looking CG feature to date - there was some work that was just stunning. I wasn't as impressed by the character animation, but overall it was excellent.

|andrew|

I thought the first was better, but still laughed my ass off when I saw the hairball scene. I was really impressed by the effects as well. The hair dynamics were spectacular. The character animation was great for some characters, and not so great for others (I think my biggest problem was with the princess). There were so many gags in it, I think I'll have to watch it 2 more times to catch them all.

And how about them box office returns? It's sure to set another record for highest grossing animated feature.

-z

All I have to say - IT SUCKED!

I don't understand, how much longer can people laugh at same stuff

that are repeated over and over and over again in allmost every movie?!

Shrek 2 is full of cliches. It's like reading an review about all that was done

in movie business in the past some years. All these jump and kick ala

Keanu Reeves stuff etc. And especially farting and burping!!! God!!!

What kind of imaginationless idiot started this farting and burping crusade

on to the minds of viewers?! This is simply degrading!

Long story short. I give it THREE thumbs DOWN. Way, way down.

Just my two cents.

I don't understand, how much longer can people laugh at same stuff that are repeated over and over and over again in allmost every movie?!

Hmmm.... if I were to ask my kids, I think their answer would be "forever!" ... although I may be oversimplifying a bit ;)

Shrek 2 is full of cliches. It's like reading an review about all that was done in movie business in the past some years. All these jump and kick ala Keanu Reeves stuff etc. And especially farting and burping!!! God!!!

Not that I think I could speak for its creators, but I believe the intent was to poke fun at precisely those cliches -- or at least that's how I took it. But I have a sneaky suspicion that it didn't quite read that way to you :P

What kind of imaginationless idiot started this farting and burping crusade on to the minds of viewers?!

In my house... my kids! They started it! I sincerily have *no* idea where they got it from, but they were simply *in stitches* at every one of those jokes... <sigh> I think you're right; I think they've been "perpetrated upon"... Oh wait; they're kids... ah, never mind.

This is simply degrading!

Well... that's overreacting a little, no?

One may be tempted to ask "who/what is it degrading to?" ... women? men? ... donkeys?... pastry?

I'll agree that it's "crass" humour, yes; perhaps "unrefined", yes; though I have to say I didn't go in expecting the ogre to start debating the finer points of "marriage as an institution" with Fiona's parents.

I dunno... pantomime and slapstick have been a valid part of the theatrical repertoire since forever; and while I din't personally laugh at the farting/burping jokes, I don't find them offensive when I take into account *the context*. I also don't think they were directed at me but at the two little people sitting beside me (whom I had to peel off the floor).

Long story short. I give it THREE thumbs DOWN. Way, way down.

Fair enough.

Story-wise I enjoyed it, though not as much as the last one.

The CG had moments of sheer brilliance, and the rest was simply excellent.

All in all; good times for my whole family (though if my kids decide to reenact the dinner scene at home, they have another thing coming ;) )

Just my two cents.

Ditto; but mine are Canadian, so.... that's like 1e-4 $USD, right?

Cheers!

The Donkeys and Horse's animation was just incredible. I loved that! Had me laughing without making any jokes. Puss in Boots was a great surprise because at first you think he's going to plain suck and he turns out damn funny..

I'll agree that the toilet humour is not my favourite; it seems like only the English can really pull that off successfully. ;)

Puss certainly did steal the show - and with all due respect to Mr. Banderas, who did a fine job, I'd say it was the physical performance was what really sold that cat. My hat's off to his animators - they almost let me stop admiring Puss's rigs and fur.

For me, though, the best sequence in the entire flick began with the appearance of a giant cookie. I missed Bonnie Tyler's rendition of the song, but I was still sitting there with a big stupid grin on my face all the way from the bakery to the party. Gotta love the direction on that one.

This sequel was much better than the original, imho. Won't even mind if the civilians drag me out to see it again. :rolleyes:

I thought it was great. I've seen it 3 times; not necessarily because I wanted to see it that many times, mind you. First time I wanted to see it, second time it was either that or sit at work, third time I had to go with my girl. :P

I also thought the animation was a bit spotty at some points, and I thought a couple of the gags were a bit forced, but all in all it's a good movie, and a couple scenes almost had me in tears, I was laughing so hard the first time I saw it. My biggest problem with it is pop-culture humor, it won't be a movie that ages well, unlike Finding Nemo.

Third time around it was tiresome, but I was able to appreciate some of the really great lighting and shader work they did. I think some of the best shots are in the rain sequence, the mushroom turning into a flower, and that shot where Shrek is looking out the window, soaking wet. The water droplets are excellent.

I think casting Jennifer Saunders and Antonio Banderas was a stroke of genious.

POP-CULTURE humor!!! You could've not said it better!

That and "borrowing" concept that filled the gap which

Shrek himself couldn't fill. It was: Shrek and..... the whole shebang.

Pinoccio, Little Red Riding Hood, A Cat Wearing Straw Boots (here you

also get Zorro) etc. etc. etc.

But when I said "degrading" that's exactly what I meant.

I don't think that when magority of people gets hung up on burping

and farting(you can add here not any less popular in movies, loosing pants)

is a sign of an mentally healthy nation. Americans call it "not being

ashamed of who you are", being "openminded" and so on. Whatever they

call it, I call it: being "simpleminded".

I mean isn't there anything else they would be proud of and wanted to

show off other than relieving nature?

I'm not a hypocrite and I do not want to say that it's a forbidden topic.

Like the names of two books for toddlers I see in the window of a

book store which I walk by every day, say "The Gas We Pass" and "Everybody Poops".

But hey! Not into everyone's faces!