What is the current state of...

Guest mantragora

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe Houdini was used in Battlefield 4. If it was Dice or some other company who did that work though I wouldn't know.

ILP did the FX for BF3/4, and i know EA Sports in florida is using houdini extensively for the sports games.

One thing that would be nice to see is more integration of the engines used with houdini, building particle systems in H and then being able to just import or have a link into the game engine (never liked the way the particle editor in UDK worked) 

Guest mantragora

are you advocating scrapple?

Nope. It was provocation to force more people to come out and speak something :P

I heard from Janet that there is a "big interest". We are couple month after the debut and I still can't see it.

• 1 year later...

well that's funny because it looks that you omit Valve Software, who use houdini extensively for proceduralism and map creation.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/siggraph2010_vlachos_waterflow.pdf

it doesn't look to help to speed up the making of HL3 though ! :)

but i'm confident that i will be able to play HL3 before 2025 ...

Edited by sebkaine

Guest mantragora

2010, they probably switched since then to Maya. Or Linux with Gimp and Maya. Or build their own application because Gabe decided that SESI is hurting PC industry and Steam sales with Orbolt, so they need their own Houdini.

Guest mantragora

No one else? I'm I the only one who is interested in this? I could probably add couple more companies by asking at Polycount, but I'm sure this will be mostly US based ones.

So, do we get only immigrants in Europe this days? Do SESI sells Houdini Engine only in Canada?

Guest mantragora

Nope. We got couple world known companies where I live, and government doesn't help at all. Witcher 3 anyone?

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè

eh?

So it turns out that the Witcher 3 was subsidised by the Polish government: http://visegradinsight.eu/seeking-the-central-european-silicon-valley24092014/."

"CD Projekt RED received substantial financial aid from the state and Europe."

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/97803/the-witcher-3-subsidy-and-ethical-policy-thoughts

EDIT:

Canadian subs:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canadian-made-games-and-the-question-of-outsourcing-1.1002515

So the gaming industry is like the Film/Tv industry in essence.

Edited by tar

Guest mantragora

eh?

First two parts wasn't. After they made success they probably got money from UE, like every other company in Europe (or farmers), but i don't think that you can call it as bad as VFX. Otherwise you wouldn't see such a company in Poland, only in Canada. And they are not the only one. Techland with Dying Light and Dead Island. And couple more smaller ones.

On the other hand there are no big VFX facilities in Poland. You can find smaller Axis Animation like shops, but no WETA like ones.

I never heard about game companies migrating for money to other country, like you see in VFX, where whole companies are moving on and fire everyone just to hire in the other place.

EDIT: Poland is not a company friendly place. Companies are failing because of taxes and bad bureaucracy. 3 million people migrated from it for a job, and we are not in war. It's really miracle that we got companies like Techland or CD Poject.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=13663&view=next&sid=de5ac9ebc825424f1ec9c57ba7a36f3e

I would also bet that Blizzard use it in the cinematic dpt ...

Actually i've just come to realise that you forgot Naughty Dog !

They did use it on the uncharted series.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2208&Itemid=68

Edited by sebkaine

Guest mantragora

Naughty Dog is not in Europe. In US there is more game companies using H. And I would also pick companies that use it full time, not once in a while, which I think Blizzard is not.

Guest mantragora

Come on Marty, don't disappoint me ;)

Unreal engine and Unity started as in-house solutions for making games. For Alien Isolation custom rendering pipeline was made to achieve some cool effects that already existing engines didn't supported.

You are aware that Unreal now has a procedural node based editor, called blueprints :P?

Also from a technical standpoint I would not really know why you would want to recreate a system to create other systems...

I mean, there is pretty much nothing computer related Houdini can't do, if you spend the time on it...

(note that it is not always the most efficient way)

I can understand it from a financial standpoint though, Houdini is expensive software and there is currently no real, cheap, way to ship the proceduralism to the end user (gamer).

Houdini engine is what you could consider middleware if you integrate it in your game engine, most game companies use many different types of middleware, physics solutions like Havok for instance.

Adding Houdini as a middleware can make perfect sense for a lot of games. For instance you could free up a lot of time of tools programmers, and let those tasks be done by Technical Directors or Artists.

Edited by acey195

Also from a technical standpoint I would not really know why you would want to recreate a system to create other systems...

I mean, there is pretty much nothing computer related Houdini can't do, if you spend the time on it...

(note that it is not always the most efficient way)

Right, but lots of vfx companies do this, e.g.:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/sci-tech-consideration-list-for-2015/

Large-scale, massively parallel, distributed, multi-physics simulation systems

Prompted by Odin: A massively parallel simulation environment (Weta Digital)

Considering that gaming is a bigger industry than films, it would be logical that they too would do this.

Does anyone know what the 'sci-tech' awards are for the gaming industry?

Edited by tar

Houdini is way more than a simulation environment :P

If you need a very specific segment, like fluid sims, just smoke, or just procedural modeling,

it may be possible to create something that would outperform Houdini on this small area.

To recreate the entire package for in-studio use, just seems "illogical" :P