How do you add thickness, ensure watertightness for geometries before

magneto

Hi,

Is using PolyExtrude the defacto way to add thickness to surfaces and making sure there are no holes, etc?

I find PolyExtrude a little hard to use if the surface is curved, so you get squashed faces at one end of the geometry that you need to clean up, but it's not always possible to just flatten them. You also need to relax them, etc.

What's the best way to do these so that the geometry is not paper thin like a deformed grid or that it's not watertight?

Thanks all.

@Skybar: I guess so, if I could remember that feature :) So I imagine this is case by case basis depending on the geometry.

Can either of those papers be implemented in Houdini using the standard tools without using the HDK? I will take a look at it for curiosity, but probably be over my head in some parts.

Thanks 0rr, that's a pretty good approach. How do you judge the success of a volume though? When I display the vdbfrompolygons1 node, I only see individual "pixels" in the viewport which makes me think the volume wasn't constructed correctly. Apparently this is not the case, but I was relying on what I see in the viewport.